mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Wheel size for Honzo ST

Iím building up a 2019 steel Honzo frame. My original plan was to build it with 29ís, but happen to have a 27.5 wheelset laying around. Iím pretty sure 27.5x2.8ís will fit. Any thoughts on running the Honzo with the 27.5 plus setup vs 29?

Additional information... Iím building it with a 130mm fork so bb height will be raised a bit and I know there is a Honzo ST plus specific frame. I donít ride in mud, so clearance can be a little tighter. Not that it matters, but this will also be a singlespeed.

mtbr member
    there are several discussions in the Kona sub-forum about this. I suggest you have this thread moved there as that's going to attract the most attention from people who own a Honzo.

Also, Kona sells the Honzo with 650Bx2.8" tires and a 120mm fork and calls it the Big Honzo. that might serve as a good reference point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yes they have a Big Honzo ST but the bottom bracket drop difference is considerable 65mm vs. 50mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Sorry, Iím drawing a blank. I know what bb drop is, but what is the effect of the difference? 65vs50?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadwell26 View Post
    Sorry, Iím drawing a blank. I know what bb drop is, but what is the effect of the difference? 65vs50?
    Since the 29r wheels are taller the bottom bracket drop is greater (65mm) therefore if you put 27.5+ wheels on the 29r frame the shorter wheels will make the bottom bracket unusually low causing lots of pedal strikes on rocks and stuff.

The Big Honzo ST bottom bracket drop is 15mm less to compensate for the shorter wheels and should have a similar overall bottom bracket height as the Honzo ST when it is setup with 29r wheels. Hope that is not confusing.

I just got the Big Honzo ST with the 27.5+ and may get some 29r wheels down the road, that will make the bottom bracket even higher yet.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorf411 View Post
    Since the 29r wheels are taller the bottom bracket drop is greater (65mm) therefore if you put 27.5+ wheels on the 29r frame the shorter wheels will make the bottom bracket unusually low causing lots of pedal strikes on rocks and stuff.

The Big Honzo ST bottom bracket drop is 15mm less to compensate for the shorter wheels and should have a similar overall bottom bracket height as the Honzo ST when it is setup with 29r wheels. Hope that is not confusing.

I just got the Big Honzo ST with the 27.5+ and may get some 29r wheels down the road, that will make the bottom bracket even higher yet.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwell26 View Post
    Iím building up a 2019 steel Honzo frame. My original plan was to build it with 29ís, but happen to have a 27.5 wheelset laying around. Iím pretty sure 27.5x2.8ís will fit. Any thoughts on running the Honzo with the 27.5 plus setup vs 29?
    You are also not likely to have good results by throwing 2.8" tires onto any old 27.5" wheelset. If you're talking 30mm or narrower rims, give or take, you'll have to run tire pressures extra high to avoid floppy tire syndrome. Which will suck for ride quality either way. Most folks who go plus are using 35-45mm wide rims or so.

You're probably still better off building your Honzo ST with 29er wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Great point Harold. I didnít really consider rim width. The wheelset I have does have 30mm internal width, but that isnít ideal for 2.8ís. I will probably do ahead with 29ís for my build. Thanks.