What's the story with Trek?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

What's the story with Trek?

I hear good things and I hear bad things. I was at my LBS today and there was a Trek 4300 on sale for $370. I really like it, but I just remember hearing a lot of people bash Trek. For me, as an entry level/beginner, would this model be a decent start? I'm really thinking of getting this bike by the end of the week!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think they're kind of seen as an "evil empire" like Wal-Mart, because they own so many other companies. But from what I know, that's a nice bike, great for a beginner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good grief at least compare them to the Shimano evil empire and not Wally world, land of cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trek is a fine company...

Quote Originally Posted by jesse0081
    I hear good things and I hear bad things. I was at my LBS today and there was a Trek 4300 on sale for $370. I really like it, but I just remember hearing a lot of people bash Trek. For me, as an entry level/beginner, would this model be a decent start? I'm really thinking of getting this bike by the end of the week!
    and they stand behind their product. They're reliable and well known for producing quality bikes. Those that bash them like to think of themselves as supporting the small mfrs, but they're usually blowing hot air. The bike you mention is entry level with entry level components. It'll work fine for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    my first post, but also, my 2 cents.

about 10 years ago, all i was interested in was trek, and i loved them. fast forward to now, and i was totally excited about getting another trek (just started biking again) but was disappointed. unfortunately, for the money there are a lot better deals out there.

i ended up getting a haro v4 for not much more than the entry level treks and it has a lot more bang for the buck!

Beemer2
    Dec 2005
    Trek increased prices tremendously for 06. I paid $269.00 for my wife's 4300 I bought her for Xmas and when my son went to get a new one in March it was $369.00. If you are over about 175 lbs. it's too light. Other than that, she has loved it to death and we have had no problems. Nor has my new Gary Fisher had problems, which is also Trek.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Idea! Ok by me...thusfar!!

As a newbie I cannot say much. but I can tell you from my personal experience thusfar that Trek seems to be a great bike. In june I bought a 3900 (step below what yer buyin) and love it. For a very entry level bike it is holding up very well. I am 5' 9" and 250 lbs and it has withstood the abuse from me wonderfully and I ride the he$% outta this thing. Put a ton of miles on it already too! Buy with confidence in the brand but make sure that the LBS you're dealing with is as good as the bike. Without a good LBS you could spend $5000 on a bike and still *feel* screwed over.... Food for thought...
    Tim

person
    Most of the trek frames are made in the U.S. so there production costs are higher than other companies that get there frames made in Taiwan and China. The said if you get a trek although it doesn't have the components that a similarly priced specialzied or Haro would have you will get a really stong frame that is worth of upgrading down the line. I picked up a 4500 disc and i'm still happy w/ it although I have upgraded most everything on it.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    Most of the trek frames are made in the U.S. so there production costs are higher than other companies that get there frames made in Taiwan and China. The said if you get a trek although it doesn't have the components that a similarly priced specialzied or Haro would have you will get a really stong frame that is worth of upgrading down the line. I picked up a 4500 disc and i'm still happy w/ it although I have upgraded most everything on it.
    Only the higher level treks (2K plus?) have their frames made in the US. The rest come out of tiawan and China (mostly Giant factories) .

mtbr member
    I must admit I think Trek bicycles rock. I currently have a 15 year old $300 dollar Tiawanese steel Trek (which I use on an indoor trainer), I also have a 2003 Klein Attitude, and a 2005 Trek EX 7. A sweet set up. The last two were both made in the USA, and as is commonly known the Klein was made by Trek too. It's just the best hardtail.

If you want a great deal on a Trek or Klein, by a last years model. You still get the frameset that kicks, and the great warranty.

Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006
    I stand by trek/fisher. They make great bikes, and they will last if you don't use a XC bike for some DH. I had (sold it, too small) a Trek 800 sport from '02 and never had any problems with it. The frame held up fine, and I have wiped out/ran into things with it. I recently got a Fisher Piranha and am loving it thus far. So boo to all you naysayers out there.

~Shorty~

person
    ....makes me sad :-(
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Only the higher level treks (2K plus?) have their frames made in the US. The rest come out of tiawan and China (mostly Giant factories) .
    I think this is only in the passed couple years right ^ ^?

I just finished a complete rebuild on my 6000. Its a 99 frame and now its got all new componenets and still kickin.
    8 is great

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    If Trek was an evil company, would Gary Fisher and Keith Bontrager (the men, not the brands) still be associated with it?

Members who have read this thread: 0