What would you do?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What would you do?

Right now I have a 05 Kona Kikapu and am using it for both trail riding and commuting to work . . .
    I'm looking for ways to make my commute faster- the weight of the Kona and the offroad tires seem to be working against me when it comes to speed
    So it seems I have two options:
    1. Buy new hubs with a set of street tires so I can just switch the wheels as needed, OR
    2. Buy a road bike for commuting and keep the Kona for the dirty work

(I have about $1000 to spend if i get a new road bike, and while I know this is a MOUNTAIN biking forum, I might as well ask: any road bikes you would recommend?)

Also would a cyclocross bike be best if I;m commuting over streets and one medium sized field? or just stick to the roadie?
    Thanks!!!

mtbr member

Wheels

Unless you're sure you'll use the road bike I'd get a relativly light cheap wheelset to switch back and forth.

the flogged
    Feb 2004

Third option

3. Find an old road bike.

If you're just looking for a commuter bike, you could keep your eyes open for an older road bike. This will certainly cost much less than $1000, and will still be significantly faster than your MTB with knobbies.

Although finding an older 700c wheeled road bike would be ideal, you'll more than likely find something with 27" tires. If you do go the older road bike option, avoid the road bikes that have 26 x 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 tires. They're much more difficult to find.

The other benefit of an older road bike is that if you decide to go fixed gear or singlespeed, it'll be easier, because the bike will likely have horizontal dropouts.

jrm
    mtbr member

Get a Crossbike

I started with a cross bike only to sell it and buy a roadie for commuting and training on the road when i cant ride dirt. Look at the redline conquest & conquest pro, K2 Enemy (a real deal and great looking bike), Trek CX, and Kona Jake and Jake the Snake

Ride on
    Jan 2004

another bike

Having a separate commuter bike is cool. You can mount a rack, lights, and other useful city stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I changed to a set of slick-ish tyres on the mountain bike and its made an enourmous difference. ( panaracer Speedblasters )

On my commute I often cycled back home with another chap from work who is an out and out roadie doing hundreds of miles a week.

With the knobblies, even at a high pressure, i struggled up the hills to keep pace. With the semi slicks, we are on a par uphill and coasting downhill in a tucked position, i actually out pace him noticably.

Admittedly, he's not pushing to go his fastest uphill and he could easily horse me at his 100%, but he doesn't hold back either so we are fairly matched.

So the new tyre route would make a big noticable difference.

I however am actually thinking of further converting the current bike towards only road use, and getting a more heavy duty ful susser for the off road stuff. I like the current bike's position and setup for on the road ( even long distance ) so a change to road bike tyres ( as opposed to fast trail tyres ) may see me go even faster on the commute, whilst i could put the new bike money to something more dedicated to total off road use ( instead of limiting myself to something which has to do both )

richeyr
    May 2004
    Look at the Kona Dew and Dew deluxe by Kona. Both are sweet bikes and are capable for some on/off road abuse.
    Live Life or Watch it go by. I'd rather be living it!

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

What I did

When my employer moved I was close enough to commute occasionally (20mi from my house), I took it as a sign that the good lord wanted me to buy a road bike. My price range was lower than yours. I wanted to spend like 750 - 800. Of course you get in the bike shop and get that new bike smell in your nose...

Anyway I spent $1000 and the bike shop guy hooked me up with a real nice leftover Bianchi Veloce steel road bike with Campy components. MSRP $1500. I'm real happy with the bike. There is no comparison between mtb and road bikes for road riding.

Do it. DOO IT!

Now I do some group rides on the road with the LBS. Some of them have cyclocross bikes with road tires for off season training. If you think you need it, a cx bike is an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by jcraft
    Right now I have a 05 Kona Kikapu and am using it for both trail riding and commuting to work . . .
    I'm looking for ways to make my commute faster- the weight of the Kona and the offroad tires seem to be working against me when it comes to speed
    So it seems I have two options:
    1. Buy new hubs with a set of street tires so I can just switch the wheels as needed, OR
    2. Buy a road bike for commuting and keep the Kona for the dirty work

(I have about $1000 to spend if i get a new road bike, and while I know this is a MOUNTAIN biking forum, I might as well ask: any road bikes you would recommend?)

Also would a cyclocross bike be best if I;m commuting over streets and one medium sized field? or just stick to the roadie?
    Thanks!!!
    keep moving

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    After debating on what I wanted to do, I decided to get a dedicated road bike instead of the new wheelset with slicks- and so far I'm glad I did!! The KHS bike I picked up puts my Kona to shame when it comes to speed- makes riding to work that much better I also started doin training races around town, trying to get in shape to do a couple races over the summer, so definitely glad i went this route

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was in the same spot and bought as rode bike. I have to say I dont like it. They hall a$$ thats for sure but you alway have to watch out for crap in the rode and if you don't shave your legs rode guys give you crap No, most of all for me they are just uncomfortable and you really have to pay attation to the road. Figure it is great to be able to rob parts also. Run some 1.0 slicks at 100psi and you will be in bis. Just my 2cents

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

good choice

nice bikes.
    good luck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jcraft
    After debating on what I wanted to do, I decided to get a dedicated road bike instead of the new wheelset with slicks- and so far I'm glad I did!!
    keep moving

Members who have read this thread: 0