what would happen if I cut the toptube, seat stays and seat tube off of a bike?- Mtbr.com
    Mi nombre es Austin

New question here. what would happen if I cut the toptube, seat stays and seat tube off of a bike?

i have a chromoly hardtail that is just sitting around and I'm wondering what would happen if I cut the toptube off, the seatstays off, and the seat tube off,

leaving just the downtube, chainstay, and BB

at that point the bike frame would resemble an obtuse angle

would this bike be ride able

would it last more then a week

if the frame breaks where would it brake
    If a XC bike with 4 in. of travel goes down the RedBull Rampage course and nobody is there to see it, is it considered DH

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It would probably be rideable. It would be hard to ride though because you would not have a seat to steer with your hips. It would also have a lower center of gravity which might make it easier to ride at times.

Being a mechanic and not a Metal Worker, I don't have a good idea of how long it would last. If you are lucky it might work for a week of light riding.

My guess it would break near the bb.

I don't know why you would do it but you might make a crazy awesome new bike design. ( I doubt it)

Mi nombre es Austin

well, guess what?

In the time it took you to reply to this thread I actually did this, it was so flexy it was almost unrideable,

I'll post pics soon

oh and it did break at the bb
    If a XC bike with 4 in. of travel goes down the RedBull Rampage course and nobody is there to see it, is it considered DH

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Almost unrideable?
    There are not optional tubes on a bike frame. Of course it's going to be ridiculously flexy and break (or at least bend really bad) when you get on it. That's a little experiment that didn't need to be done.
    Now let me guess, you got some glue and duct tape and want to know how long it will last after you put it back together.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

~Disc~Golf~
    shoulda just filled it with nitro and lit it
    Honestly... ahh I give up

nocturnal oblivion
    I did just this. Built an A-frame of 2x6 planks off the front of a couch. Bolted the chainstays to the A-frame apex, and skateboard trucks to the rear corners of the couch. The "steering man" would stand at the apex and steer the couch-bike with passengers aboard. The bike was just chainstays/downtube/headtube and fork. Worked well.

nocturnal oblivion
    Why he left the TT is anyones guess. Mine held for a while with the torque of a 12' a-frame, couch, and 5 riders. It's surprisingly strong.

All fat, all the time.
    I would have turned it into a single speed or other type of franken-bike instead of cutting it into a useless pile of junk.
    Heck even donate it would be better than cutting it up??....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail
    Came across this at RIT a few months back. Wouldn't want to be straddling that when it lets go

Attachment 558067
    Yea, that toptube heading towards your junk at 30MPH, in traffic, when it goes, no thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0