What style bike should I get?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

What style bike should I get?

I'm just getting back into biking. I have recently been riding a cheapy department store hardtail bike. I have found that I most enjoy going fast, going downhill and hitting jumps, all in the dirt! What style bike should I get? A dh, dj, freeride?

mtbr member
    Taken from the Sticky at the top of the forum:
    In order for the mtbr community to assist you in your selection or answering specific questions you have, it would be helpful if you provided as much information about your needs as possible. In doing so, the community can respond to your questions more directly. Here are some examples of the type of information to provide.

1) Your budget. How much do you have to spend on the bicycle (not including accessories such as helmet, gloves and other accessories).
    2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering? (Please try to limit the selection to a handful if at all possible, and provide links to those bikes. Remember, we don't always know the exact specs of all the bikes out there!)
    3) What type of riding do you intend to do? (e.g. Cross Country, Freeride, Downhill, paved paths)
    4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension?
    5) Age, weight and height. (In many instances very important for a variety of reasons).
    6) What sources will you consider buying from? (e.g. Your Local Bike Shop, online vendors, or used bike sources such as mtbr classifieds, craigslist, ebay and others)
    7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As per above, lots of needed info to steer you right. But, assuming that you don't have $2k to spend, see about an AM hardtail. Basically a hard tail built to hqndle abuse and with geometry designed to ride downhill better than a XC bike. Do your research h and read a lot on this forum. BUT, keep in mind that a lot of this cap is preference and opinion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    $1500 is probably my max to spend, i havent really considered much yet just been looking around. My considerations are more than i can spend lol. I enjoy offroad in the dirt, jumps, downhill, and going fast. I havent riden a fs yet so idk about that. im 27yrs old, 165, and im 5'5'. I prefer new from my lbs. They have specialized and cannondale. I would consider a nice used bike but i need a small frame. Any suggestions are welcome really.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Lots of used bikes in that category. If you will be getting a lot of air time, a trail bike is not going to fit the bill. You'll need a true AM bike. Something like a Giant Reign, SC Nomad, Speci Enduro, etc. These are all FS bikes, btw. If you want to get into FS and the above holds true, I can't think of any bikes that fit the bill that are at, or under, $1500 new. Now, a new FS trail bike with lower-end components is doable. You'll actually be able to get one at a great price now. Probably a $2k+ bike in your price range.

The other option is to buy/build an AM hardtail. Something like a Ragley (google it) with a new/used coil fork, new/used crank and decent parts spec is 100% in the budget. If you shop hard, you can spec it with full XT/X9. Probably not high end wheels but you can score a decent set on clearance that will be nice enough.

Keep researching and take your time. The deals are only going to get better in the next month or two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    or a Kona Steely could fit the bill for a decent HT.

mtbr member
    if you want a HT check out On One 456, Transition TransAM, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Ragley Blue Pig, Evil Soverign