What size Anthem for me ?- Mtbr.com
    Hill eater

What size Anthem for me ?

Thanks for looking in I have many Q's, any advice is appreciated.

Here are my measurements from http://www.competitivecyclist.com fit calculator.

Gender M
    Inseam 73.5 cm
    Trunk 63 cm
    Forearm 34 cm
    Arm 66 cm
    Thigh 61 cm
    Lower Leg 53 cm
    Sternal Notch 138.5 cm
    Total Body Height 173 cm

ATM I ride a 17inch MED XTC2 and soon want to upgrade to my first dually, an Anthem 0

My concern is the MED Anthem is 18inch

It has a longer top tube than my XTC, but shorter stem, thus giving a very similar cockpit length. But probably less stand over room.

I think my reach would be OK considering the similar cockpit, but with the longer frame and shorter stem I'm worried that I will not be able to throw the bike around, bunny hop, wheelie, and climb as easily.

Also with the 100mm forks of the Anthem VS my 80mm the bars are higher, and I think this would make my climbing suffer.

Can I just take a spacer out of the stem, or should I get a new spacer for the forks dropping them to 90mm making them closer to what I'm used to?

I want the best of both worlds, a quick handling, easy to manoeuvre race bike, that is also comfortable for long rides.

The other alternative is to get the Small 16inch Anthem which has a very similar top tube length to my 17inch XTC, and putting a longer stem on it than the 90mm it comes with. If I went for a 100mm stem length it would have 10mm less cockpit than my XTC. If I went for 110mm stem giving me the same cockpit as my XTC, wouldn't it throw out the geometry and put me too far over the front? That might be OK for climbing, but probably not for downhill steering?

AHHHHHHHHHH, it's all too hard, LOL

I think I'm leaning towards the MED 18inch.Anthem

I have ridden the 16inch, but with stock stem it feels small, I will get a quick try of the 18inch tonight, but probably not long enough to be able to tell.

Cheers,
    Rat
    Last edited by Rattus; 02-07-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old
    We grow old because we stop playing.

ride hard take risks
    At 5'6" my guess would be a 17" frame. The Anthem has a good SO for a 18" because of the TT shape. You definatly dont want to get into a 16" small size, you will be cramed unless you plan on doing DJ only. Go with the 18" medium.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Hill eater
    Thanks for the answer dogonfr, I got to have a quick ride on an 18inch Anthem tonight, it did feel big, but not huge. The seat was up a bit high for me and I didn't have time to adjust it, the bloke I borrow it off was ready to race and I had to give it back.

Hmmmm, I think you are possibly right, I might be better off with an 18inch.

I hope I can get another ride with the seat down.

mtbr member
    How 'bout you go browse the GIANT forum or XC Racing forum where race bikes are discussed a bit more, you'll find and get way more answers in either of those forums.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Hill eater
    OK I will have a look thanks

But still open to answers in this thread.

ride hard take risks
    I agree with LyNx about the Giant Forum, you definatly need to get the seat height correct to tell. How was the SO height.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Members who have read this thread: 0