What should I look for when swapping parts to a different frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

What should I look for when swapping parts to a different frame?

I'm planning on buying a frame and swapping all my parts on my current bike to the new frame. Never built a bike before. What measurements should I be looking for that will tell me what components will switch over or not? Bottom bracket, cranks, stem, and or anything else.

Thanks
    Zack

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    seatpost diameter
    headtube tapered, 1 1/8" or 1.5"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thats it? All other parts are standard sizing?

From what I can gather off the internet

My current bike
    SEAT POST = Alloy micro adjust, 30.9mm
    HEADSET = 1 1/8" threadless

New frame
    Seat Post = Ritchey Comp Mountain 31.6mm aluminum
    Headset = Ritchey Sealed Bearing threadless 1 1/8 inch

The frame will come with Fork and the headset will still be attached. I can assume by those numbers I will need a new seat post. What else should I be looking for?
    Last edited by thunderzy; 09-22-2010 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Top or bottom pull for the front derailleur.
    Type of axle on new bike (ie: quick release, through axle, etc)

With the above mentioned, not sure of anything else.

-Brett

T.W.O.
    What bike do you have now and what bike are you getting. Are they both disc or v brake, front der diameter, sometimes it's different.

Bottom bracket width as well, most popular sizes are 68 and 73mm . If it's external BB you can just add or take out a spacer.

More info would help, I assume it's going to the same size bike.

the catalan connection
    Problems I´ve found myself when moving parts to another frame either larger, small or same size:
    -Already mentioned seatpost and derailleur clamp sizes and pull type. But I´ve found the same type bottom swing derailleur (high)clamp would interfere with water bottle cage bolts on the new frame when it used to clear them on the older....meaning, yes,new derailleur. Check it.
    -BB shell width change. No problem on ouboard type (solved with spacers), but may need a new BB if its octalink, isis or whatever internal.
    -Needed new housing or cables, or at least re-trim them. Two frames exactly the same size are very likely to have the cable stops welded at different positions. Don´t trust tube and c to c length measures mean same housing lengths. Also,some special housing ends will fit nice in one frame stops, but will feel either loose or won´t come in on another. I normally got new cable/housing sets, not so expensive and saves you lots of time and trouble.
    -Either re-trim brake hoses or get new ones and bleed them (normally only at the back).
    -Get all the little bits to fix brake hose to the frame.
    -Found steerer tube on fork too short and had to look for lower stack headsets and stems if wanted to keep the fork.
    -Found a PITA to remove the fork headset race without scratching the crown badly.With the proper tool your LBS shouldn´t even charge you for the 1 minute it takes.(only if you change the headset)
    -Need a few more spacers to re-center rear brake caliper (only back, IS)
    -Found I had to change to a no setback post or the other way around.
    -Found stem wouldn´t fit me anymore.

The most annoying is not having the tool you need.

But if you get all things in check, swaping frames is one of the nicest wrench works to do.Just make sure you have everything. To get stuck is really depressing!
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by What&son; 09-23-2010 at 05:52 AM.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    it was said above but it is serious so I'll repeat. the biggest issue will be the length of the fork steer tube. if your current steer tube is too short you have a lot to contend with: reduced stack of new headset, riser bars, and worst case - new fork.

everything else can be done most easily. the parts that might not swap over like front der, seat post, stem (due to length) are all fairly inexpensive items that can be found used most times.

have fun with the build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My current bike is an 07 Specialized rockhopper. All specs can be found on this link.
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...7&menuItemId=0

Nothing currently on this bike is stock. It now has shimano xt components and a Rock Shox Reba.

The incoming frame is a Motobecane Fantom Comp DS. It will come with a Fox 32 Vanilla fork, and Monarch 4.2 rear shock, plus an installed headset. I am getting an excellent deal on this package.
    Specs on this link.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...mcomp_ds08.htm

If I want to ride my new setup before the end of the season I will have an LBS perform the swap.

newb cranker
    I'm currently swapping out my frame as well. I got estimates from lbs on how much they would charge me for the switch. 125-250 was the numbers I got back from a few shops. If you can buy the tools for less and make a few like theft PVC pipe headset remover then go for it. So far my total tool cost for my build is just about 45. That includes new brake an gear cables, housing, BBC tool, cassette tool, chain break tool an a few other things. Just another option to consider.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal
    lobotomy."
    --Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I definitely have considered it. I have a stand, but none of the special tools. Also, I have too many project right now. Restoring a vintage honda and a firebird. But I am still considering building this bike myself, and having an LBS tune it and give it a once over.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thunder, have you purchased the frame yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    No money has been exchanged but the deal has been accepted and agreed to by both parties. I actually had the chance to test ride one and I liked it better than the other bikes I was able to ride. Believe it or not I test rode a Kona and Marin as well. If you have something to offer me I will take into consideration.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was just curiouos why you wouoldn't be shopping for a frame only and swapping over the parts you have, including the reba. are you planning on restoring the RH to its original build?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    No, the idea is simply to build an economical full suspension. Possibly sell whatever spares to recoup some of the cost.

Members who have read this thread: 0