What to look for in a used titanium frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

What to look for in a used titanium frame?

I'm seriously considering buying a used titanium bike. I do mostly cross country riding and titanium has the flexibility of steal but is much more durable.

Does anyone know how to check if a frame has serious damage? I know how to check the parts and how to check for the obvious cracks. Is there a simple way to check for weak spots that may not be visible to the eye?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Every defect should be visible as Ti doesn't rust in or out and metal fatigue wont set in at least in our lifetime.
    Just have a thorough ocular inspection of the frame. It shouldn't have cracks, deep scratches and dents. Look around the welds for hairline cracks. Surface scratches can be easily buff with scotchbrite. If you can remove the cranks, inspect for chainsuck marks.
    Ask the seller the history of the bike, 1st, 2nd owner? Raced? Crashed? Dents, dings or scratches? You can more or less get an impression from his answers if the bike was cared for or abused.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thank you for the feed back that verifies what I read on another web sight earlier today.

Members who have read this thread: 0