ride on!

What kind of bike 4 my girl?

I'm wanting to ride the great divide trail with my gil and need to get a f/s bike for her. Was thinking of the rocky mountain company. Any word on the xc models they have? Any women have a suggestion? Thanks

Village Dirtbag
    She'll probably need a lot of practice or experience before doing a mega epic like that. There are lots of good dualies out there, so just find whatever fits here the best. I just got my wife a Santa Cruz Juliana SL and she really likes that.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndawg
    I'm wanting to ride the great divide trail with my gil and need to get a f/s bike for her. Was thinking of the rocky mountain company. Any word on the xc models they have? Any women have a suggestion? Thanks
    RM has really improved the Element in the '05 model, they raised the pivot to pedal just like a Truth and it still handles even better.

There are many other good bikes. What does she want?

- ray

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Element or ETSX

I may be biased (see my screen name), but I really think Rocky Mountain makes some great bikes. I actually own two, in addition to some other bikes. My cross country rig is a decked-out ETSX-50, although at this point in time it's even better than an ETSX-70.

Enough about me ... back to your question. RM makes a couple of good cross country bikes. The Element is a great bike and is very efficient. The ETSX is also wondering, eliminating most (if not all) pedal bob and offering a ton of adjustability. It's a wonderful do-everything bike. Both bikes come in multiple models -- I believe the 30, 50, and 70 models. The frame stays the same through the entire line, but the higher the number, the better the components (and the more expensive the bike). For example, the ETSX-30 is the low end ETSX bike and the ETSX-70 in the high end bike. Hopefully all that makes sense. One of the advantages to the ETSX is the stand-over ... it's lower than many other bikes I test rode. I know this can be an issue, especially for some women.

I would think that it's well worth "your girl" test-riding both of these bikes. Part of the process will be determining her size. And another part will be her figuring out what she likes and doesn't like. As a guy, one of the best things you can do is let her make the decision ... don't push her.

That brings me to the other bike I want to mention. My girlfriend has a Santa Cruz Juliana that she loves. I would have liked it if she got a RM, but it was her decision. In any case, she rode a number of bikes and this was the one she liked best. It's basically the same design as the Santa Cruz Superlite, but with a few small geometry tweaks. In our case, I selected all the parts and gave her a custom build. Complete bikes are available through Santa Cruz, though. Keep in mind that the Juliana and the RM Element will have a similar ride.

Hopefully that's some good information to get you started. Good luck with the bike buying process!

a dad
    Jan 2004
    depends on your price range, my friend (who is a woman) loves her RM ETS 50, but almost bought a specialized Stumpjumper FSR (for about half the price)....if money is an issue i believe the Specialized bikes are some of the best values out there...also sometimes buying a barely used bike will save you a lot, for example i picked up a 04 yeti 575 that would of cost me around $3k for $2k... decided to replace the drivetrain for peace of mind (about $100) and i got practically a brand new bike..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

ride on!
    Cool thanks good info. I like what ya'll are sayin. She will pick the bike i just need to show her which ones to try out. So i too have heard of and like sana cruz as well. I think we'll start with a complete bike and change anything that needs to be changed. Alright, thanks again peace, mtndawg

LBS Manager

I agree with Rocky Guy

I have a ETSX-70 but also love the ride of the Specialized stumpjumper fsr you couldn't go wrong either way.

jrm
    mtbr member

Determine how much your spending

Provide some guidence but in the end let her figure out what bike to buy based on fit and comfort. Shes going to know better than anyone and beleive me youll both be alot happier in the end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Women's 2004 Stumpjumer Elite Disk

Got my fiance a 2004 Stumpjumer Elite Disk (women specific) for her engagement ring (gotta love a woman like that). IT's a great bike. Also considered the Juliana, but with the Specialized you get much better componentry and a plusher, more sophisticated suspension (FSR vs. single pivot). The SJ is a great 4" travel bike!

mtbr member

check out titus

as ppl have said i'm not sure of your price range, but you may want to consider checking out titus. depending on her height some of the frame sizes they make are made specifically for women. and if you really have some dough to burn then a custom frame will solve all your compatibility problems.

ride on!
    Yeah custom frames might be outdaballpark figure. But i'm looking at 1800-2k for the complete bike. I guess i was wondering which company's do make W's bikes. So specialized, santa cruz, any others? Thanks folks

mtbr member
    trek makes some wsd bikes as well. um...yea can't think of any others

Time is not a road.
    Fisher makes the Cake in a women's model. The 2005s are updated with lower BB and I think 4" of travel. Titus makes small Racer X frames in...wait for it...Pink (my Fiancee would kill for that) and Trek has the Fuel in a pink camo custom paint option. Even Wade Boots rides one of those...I don't think you'll get either of those for under $3000 though.

I almost got a Klein Palomino for my fiancee. On thing I liked about the suspension design was that it's made to move back then up which allows the bike to move thru bumps a little easier (theoretically, of course). On a long ride where momentum is king, this could be a benefit. They might make them in women specific models, or be able to add some of Bontrager's WS components, since they are all of the same family (Trek, GF, Klein).
    Last edited by chad1433; 12-08-2004 at 10:06 AM.

ride on!
    Thanks for the info. So bontrager makes W's parts? What kind of componets? How are they different for W? later gators

L1MEY
    Also, bear in mind that a women's specific bike may not be the best choice depending on your girlfriend's body geometry. If she's built differently from the 'average' woman that these bikes are designed for, a smaller men's frame may fit her better.

- Jen.

Time is not a road.
    As far as women specific components go, I know of saddles and handlebars (narrower to accomodate smaller hands), and now Specialized is making tires. Getting a brake lever with reach adjust will go a long way, too. Bontrager would make some of these parts, but really, it's debateable if they are necessary. The saddles are worth it though. My fiancee got a Terry Butterfly saddle - man, that thing is comfy!

The above poster is right though. We got a men's frame, X-small, fit's fine. The only women's specific product she has is the seat.

ride on!
    Cool thanks for the feedback. I guess it's off to the LBS to fit her to a bike! See ya on the trails folks!~MtnDawg

Santa Cruz Juliana

Several of my female friends rave about the SC Juliana. I would say Bang for the Buck, the Juliana has got to be in the top bracket for women's specific FS bikes.

- Porch -

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

unisex bikes!

I wouldn't worry too much about going for a women's specific model. The differences are usually patronising girly colours, trivial frame geometry tweaks, narrower bars and fat saddles. It's just marketing bull**** really. My wife rides a Ventana El Saltamontes, a fantastic trail bike, but this may be above your budget. The only women's specific part she has on it is the saddle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Our experiences

I helped my girlfriend pick out a bike this past summer. She's on the light side (110 lbs), so my two main requirements were that it be full suspension and that it be reasonably light. Her price limit was $1500. We ended up getting a Yeti Kokopelli. It fits her very well (she's approximately 5'5"), and she has loved her bike from the moment she first got it. I haven't weighed the frame yet, but her bike (size small) doesn't seem to weigh much more than my medium EW Truth. The only alteration from the stock setup that we did was cut the handlebars down to fit her better - not a big deal.

Now that she's been riding for a few months on it, the only thing that I wish we had done differently was set her up on disk brakes. In the price range that she was looking, it really wasn't feasible, but that will be the first definite upgrade.

The other thing to definitely consider for a woman rider is the fork that comes on the bike. Hers has a Manitou Skareb Comp, and it turns out that Manitou doesn't even offer a spring for a 110 lb rider for this fork. The second upgrade will be to an air fork so that we can adjust it to her weight more easily.

Good luck!

Jason

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert

The other thing to definitely consider for a woman rider is the fork that comes on the bike. Hers has a Manitou Skareb Comp, and it turns out that Manitou doesn't even offer a spring for a 110 lb rider for this fork. The second upgrade will be to an air fork so that we can adjust it to her weight more easily.

Good luck!

Jason

Very good point about the fork. My wife is very light too (110 lbs). Her first bike was a Trek 4500 which came with a cheap RS Judy TT. With her weight it hardly moved and the ride was terrible. She upgraded to a SID dual air, which was perfect for her weight. It transformed the whole bike. She has a Fox Talas on her current bike, which also works well with the air pressure set low.