Almost Intermediate
    Jul 2005

What full sus.xc bike to buy??

I am looking to buy a new full sus. xc bike. I am 5'10" and 185 lbs. I would want to keep it under $2000 for sure. I mostly trail ride, but maybe a few small jumps?? I would want something readily upgradeable. I have looked into a Specialized FSR, a Giant Trance, and an IronHorse Hollowpoint. Any other suggestions, and do you have an opinion on any of the bikes listed??

Totally Rad
    Jun 2005
    Of those 3 bikes, the specialized and giant could be upgraded by swapping components, but the Iron Horse is (IMO) better upgraded by swapping out the frame. Iron Horse bikes seem to be great values for the money, since the component groups are prety good. But the frames have never impressed me. They're generally heavy, and a bit crudely designed...just my opinion though. Still, the Iron Horse isn't a bad choice...but I think the frames are the worst part of the bikes.

Of those 3, I think the Specialized has the best-made frame. The giant is nice because it's a fresh suspension design that's supposed to work pretty good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Giant steals Ironhorse Dw link design and

Ironhorse is "a bit crudely designed". Can't wait for the Ironhorse board to post on this one.
    7 lbs frame is a heavy frame for a 5in travel bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Draisine Velocipede, PHD
    Of those 3 bikes, the specialized and giant could be upgraded by swapping components, but the Iron Horse is (IMO) better upgraded by swapping out the frame. Iron Horse bikes seem to be great values for the money, since the component groups are prety good. But the frames have never impressed me. They're generally heavy, and a bit crudely designed...just my opinion though. Still, the Iron Horse isn't a bad choice...but I think the frames are the worst part of the bikes.

Of those 3, I think the Specialized has the best-made frame. The giant is nice because it's a fresh suspension design that's supposed to work pretty good.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poser
    Ironhorse is "a bit crudely designed". Can't wait for the Ironhorse board to post on this one.
    7 lbs frame is a heavy frame for a 5in travel bike?
    I 'spose I'll respond to Dr Trike (who should be glad he didn't cast dispersions on Turner frame design in which case he'd would have been flamed by a hundred handbag waving Homers by now):

the MKIII is closer in kind to the Reign than the Trance. There's very little difference between frame weights, and even though the MKIII has more conventional looking tubing; it's just as highly engineered. To quote DW talking about the elevated chainstay:

"A word on that tube, since you sound like you have some knowledge on the subject. I personally am not a fan of bending straight gauge tubes, in theory you can introduce a stress concentration due to grain and thickness change. This tube however, is very special. The tube is triple butted with internal and external tapers. It is then annealed, ovalized, annealed again, and then formed using a forming tool (its not bent with a mandrel). After the frame is welded it is brought to the T6 condition. In the end, you get a tube with a pretty constant bending stiffness and no hot zones for stresses or strains. Its a pretty trick little tube.
    Most tubes on the high end Iron Horse frames follow similar conventions.
    Just some insight into the hidden technology in the framesets."

mtbr member
    Go with the Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 or 2.0, whichever one you can afford. The frames used to have a problem with the chainstays breaking, but that has been fixed on the newer models. Jamis also gives you one of the greatest component specs for the money and you get great customer service and a no-questions asked 5 year warranty. The XLT's may be a little heavy, 30-31 pounds, but should be able to handle anything you can dish out and more, including 4-5 foot drops. Me and my family have been riding Jamis's for over 4 years and have never been disappointed. The components one the bike are more worthy of a frame upgrade than componenet upgrades. If you are looking for less bike, look at the Dakar XC line of bikes. Check out jamisbikes.com for info and specs. If you can contact a Jamis dealer I hear that Jamis is having a big sale of all their 2004 bikes.

Good luck and happy hunting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

They're all good...

All your choices are good. I'm sort of intrigued by the Giant suspension on the Reign. Not sure if the Trance uses the same. If your interested in another popular XC bike That I think is a great bang for the buck, check out the Kona Kikapu Delux. Pretty nicely equiped at around $1700. www.konaworld.com
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcraig
    I am looking to buy a new full sus. xc bike. I am 5'10" and 185 lbs. I would want to keep it under $2000 for sure. I mostly trail ride, but maybe a few small jumps?? I would want something readily upgradeable. I have looked into a Specialized FSR, a Giant Trance, and an IronHorse Hollowpoint. Any other suggestions, and do you have an opinion on any of the bikes listed??

The Specialized Stunt Jumper 120 is a good bike. Personally I ride a Rocky Mountian Slayer which I really like and it can be purchased in the same price range. I went with Rocky because my local shop said it was a better all around for a one bike owner and they are specialized freaks(their number one seller). I also liked the fack that the Rocky isnt made in Taiwan. But Specialized has a great warranty.