mtbr member

What frame protection film do you use?

I've heard people using gorilla tape, helicopter tape, rubber mastic tape, gun grip tape, and various bike frame protector kits.

What tape/ frame protection material do you guys use on a carbon frame to prevent damage, but will also not harm the carbon or be annoying if you want it taken off?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I use a thicker clear bra for most of the frame and double it with a downtube guard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Electronaut View Post
    I've heard people using gorilla tape, helicopter tape, rubber mastic tape, gun grip tape, and various bike frame protector kits.

What tape/ frame protection material do you guys use on a carbon frame to prevent damage, but will also not harm the carbon or be annoying if you want it taken off?
    http://www.chameleonskin.bike

great product. pretty easy to apply and very easy to remove. all you need is a hair dryer and it peels off without any sort of damage.

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI VNS-L31 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Captain One Lung Administrator

Next time please use actual words related to your thread for a title. I edited it this time. Threads without proper titles are subject to deletion with the rampant spam that occurs.

mtbr member
    My Trek Slash came with the rubber down tube / BB area protection on it already, and then the Chainstay has the factory rubber protection on it. I cleaned the whole frame (painted areas of course) with 50% diluted isopropyl alcohol, then I installed CarPro CQuartz UK Ceramic Paint protection. I let the first layer cure, then installed a 2nd layer.

BOOM. Legit water hydrophobic properties, as if a car was freshly waxed... it sheds mud, and crud like a dream, and is highly scratch resistant.

Sometimes ya gotta think outside the box
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Next time please use actual words related to your thread for a title. I edited it this time. Threads without proper titles are subject to deletion with the rampant spam that occurs.
    Lighten up Francis...itís his first post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    I use a thicker clear bra for most of the frame and double it with a downtube guard.
    Where does one find a clear bra for their bike?

But for real, what kind did you end up using?
    I'm thinking of getting some 3M sheets and cutting them.

Anybody try electrical tape?

mtbr member
    Where does one find a clear bra for their bike?

But for real, what kind did you end up using?
    I'm thinking of getting some 3M sheets and cutting them.

Anybody try electrical tape?
    Ugh, I couldn't imagine using electrical tape. That would be a mess in short time. You can get clear adhesive poly sheets on ebay or Amazon. I just ordered a wide strip of it and cut to shape. It's been on my carbon bike for over a year now, still looks good (no yellowing) and no sign of peeling off.

Edit: found the link for the stuff I got.... less than $9 and should do a whole bike. You gotta have your own scissors though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Joe Handlebar; 03-31-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I've been looking into this recently. It seems like a frame specific product like Invisiframe is a common high quality option for around 100$. It doesn't yellow and is frame and frame size specific. I'm waiting for them to get an XL cut of my 2018 Rocky Mountain Instinct.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    I've been looking into this recently. It seems like a frame specific product like Invisiframe is a common high quality option for around 100$. It doesn't yellow and is frame and frame size specific. I'm waiting for them to get an XL cut of my 2018 Rocky Mountain Instinct.

Iíve been interested in this. Are there any good frame kits that donít cost $100? I donít care what brand it is as long as it works. Iíve seen some on amazon for a lot cheaper but Iím not sure how good they are and I donít want any paint coming off if I needed to take it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigtinius View Post
    Iíve been interested in this. Are there any good frame kits that donít cost $100? I donít care what brand it is as long as it works. Iíve seen some on amazon for a lot cheaper but Iím not sure how good they are and I donít want any paint coming off if I needed to take it off.

if you have a new bike and you probably are only going to wrap it once, my suggestion (through experience) is to get a quality frame protection that you won't have to fiddle with and that you don't regret buying (even for less than a $100) every time you look at it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stepping-razor View Post
    if you have a new bike and you probably are only going to wrap it once, my suggestion (through experience) is to get a quality frame protection that you won't have to fiddle with and that you don't regret buying (even for less than a $100) every time you look at it.
    Do you have any recommendations?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Handlebar View Post
    Ugh, I couldn't imagine using electrical tape. That would be a mess in short time. You can get clear adhesive poly sheets on ebay or Amazon. I just ordered a wide strip of it and cut to shape. It's been on my carbon bike for over a year now, still looks good (no yellowing) and no sign of peeling off.

Edit: found the link for the stuff I got.... less than $9 and should do a whole bike. You gotta have your own scissors though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    For places where you can wrap like the rear stays 3m super 33+ electrical tape is the best thing to use. I have gotten 10 years out of a good wrap and they make the regular tape in all kinds of colors. I use the heli tape on the down tube and other contact spots.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigtinius View Post
    Do you have any recommendations?

as i mentioned earlier in the thread: Chameleon Skin - bicycle frame protection - bike frame protection - protezione telaio mtb

it is the only one i have used and i am very happy with it. it doesn't necessarily mean it's the best but the quality is excellent and you get direct assistance by the owner by email or even phone (he is in italy though).

check out the site. all kits are custom to frame/year. to order just send him an email. usually replies right away.
    Last edited by stepping-razor; 04-01-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Lighten up Francis...itís his first post
    Actually it was his 2nd. I deleted the 1st one because it was a duplicate. lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I did invisiframe on my ripley LS. Takes a bit to figure out where all the pieces go, but got the wife involved and with her expertise and using a hair dryer, did the whole thing in about 2 hours. Looks great and works as I had a tumble off a trail and the frame smacked a large rock...the invisiframe took the brunt of it. Well worth the $100 imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    3m leading edge tape for automotive. Its thick and not easy to damage. Nice and clear as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member

I've used Shelter Tape in the high impact areas and then various Lizard Skin tape products for areas that are more likely to be abraded than smashed into. Once installed I have never removed the tape it should be good for the life of the frame.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Vik, did you use the wet method to get a precise fit or just carefully put on dry? i know that stuff is super thick, how does it conform to curves?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    Vik, did you use the wet method to get a precise fit or just carefully put on dry? i know that stuff is super thick, how does it conform to curves?

Both the Shelter Tape and the Lizard Skin Tape is adhesive glue on the back so I am not sure it would work with the "wet method", but I didn't try. I had no problems applying to curved areas of the bike and the tape lasted for years.

That said I did not try and cover every inch of the bike. I targeted high impact areas with the Shelter Tape [ie. downtube, under BB, outside of chainstays, etc..] then put Lizard Skin where there was abraision [ie. top of top tube, inside chain stay and seat stays at tire dirt/rock rub points, where cables rubbed, etc...]

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have used Mastic Tape and it worked great but didn't look very nice. I now have All Mountain Style frame protection and it looks much cleaner. Can get them at several retailers.

https://www.allmountainstyle.com/

mtbr member
    I'm current using a mix of the All Mountain and mastic (3m 2229 tape) tape.

mtbr member
    Those all mountain style ones look nice IMO, but like most of the other pre-cut frame protector kits, they are expensive (~$35 plus shipping just for protection against the top of your top-tube for all mountain style). I don't want to spend that much and I want to protect more of my frame. I think I'm going to try out a roll of 3M poly tape and just cut it myself because I read it's the same stuff companies like invisiframe use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I buy an aluminum frame that is built for mt biking?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I buy an aluminum frame that is built for mt biking?
    First week my buddy had his new AL bike he had a rock throw up by the front wheel dent his DT pretty badly. It's okay, but any harder and he would have had to look at replacing the frame.

I put Shelter Tape onto the DT of my new AL bike after I saw that happen.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    First week my buddy had his new AL bike he had a rock throw up by the front wheel dent his DT pretty badly. It's okay, but any harder and he would have had to look at replacing the frame.

I put Shelter Tape onto the DT of my new AL bike after I saw that happen.
    Ok, point taken, my post was more in jest. I get it helping with scratches, tape help with rock dents?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Ok, point taken, my post was more in jest. I get it helping with scratches, tape help with rock dents?
    Shelter Tape is specifically made to absorb impacts so yes it does help a lot. Other tapes can also provide impact protection, but how well really varies product to product.

Really thin flexible film is mostly just for cosmetic scratch protection.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I just bought Xpel paint protection film. You can buy a bunch of standard widths and custom lengths. I got the 2" wide tape for my down tube and seat post tube. A thick piece of something clear already came on the chain stays.
    XPEL Protective Films - XPEL Technologies Corporation

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity,has anyone tried this easy frame stuff?

Came across to their site as i was looking for frame protection kits.

https://www.easy-frame.com/en/

They're based in Germany and the kit seems like an alternative to Invisi (the extended version),probably covers even more?

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.