what frame- Mtbr.com

Thread: what frame

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

what frame

Hi I am looking to get a new bike from scratch by buying a steel frame and building with parts I currently have.
    My dream situation would be to have one hardtail bike that may be used as a general purpose bike for XC,touring,commuting etc.
    I am 54 and hence comfort is high on my list.
    The three contenders are a Cove Handjob,Soma Groove and Jamis Dragon.
    Also what is the difference between the steels,some are 853,other 613 etc.
    Braze ons for panniers are fine but I use a trailer or backpack so that in itself is not a major factor.
    many thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tuffytilly
    Hi I am looking to get a new bike from scratch by buying a steel frame and building with parts I currently have.
    My dream situation would be to have one hardtail bike that may be used as a general purpose bike for XC,touring,commuting etc.
    I am 54 and hence comfort is high on my list.
    The three contenders are a Cove Handjob,Soma Groove and Jamis Dragon.
    Also what is the difference between the steels,some are 853,other 613 etc.
    Braze ons for panniers are fine but I use a trailer or backpack so that in itself is not a major factor.
    many thanks in advance
    Hi Tuffytilly,

Welcome to the board!

First of all, the main difference you might actually feel between steels like 853 and 631 is that the higher-level steel frame might feel a little lighter and possibly stiffer than the lower-end one. This is a very general statement, as frame material alone does not determine how a bike frame will actually ride. If you have to choose, and cost is similar then go for the higher-end steel (if only for the bling factor).

I know this is not on your list, but you might also check out the Nashbar 853 signature frame (http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...rames%2FBikes).

It has 853 main tubes, with 4130 cromo stays (which is the same setup as most of the other 853 MTB frames you'll come across). I'm pretty sure it'll cost you less than the other frames you're looking at, and you're not getting any real reduction in quality of construction. Disclaimer: I have one, it's very nice indeed! Check out the reviews here: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_har...t_128520.shtml

One caveat: you have to like orange!

Cheers,
    John

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi John,thanks for the reply.I looked at the Nashbar and the bioke seems great but they do not post frames outside Continental U.S.A. and I am in Australia.

Jamis frames 05 are going for $369 plus postage so based on your comments,I should go with that make.

Coves out here are $1100 with Soma $899 gasp!It is far cheaper to ship them from U.S./U.K. than buy local.

Again thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffytilly
    Hi John,thanks for the reply.I looked at the Nashbar and the bioke seems great but they do not post frames outside Continental U.S.A. and I am in Australia.

Jamis frames 05 are going for $369 plus postage so based on your comments,I should go with that make.

Coves out here are $1100 with Soma $899 gasp!It is far cheaper to ship them from U.S./U.K. than buy local.

Again thanks
    You won't go wrong with the Jamis, and that's a reasonable price. Good riding!

Members who have read this thread: 0