What to buy? Cannondale F400, K2 4.0, Woodstock 505 or Other- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

What to buy? Cannondale F400, K2 4.0, Woodstock 505 or Other

I'm returning to riding after a 10 year MIA. My last two bikes where steel frame Giant & Diamondback with aftermarket Rockshock Forks. I've done a fair amount of internet research and things have changed soooooo much. I've test rode a few different bikes incl Giant, K2, Cannnondale, and a few others. I'm budgeting $600-$700. I think I want a hardtail because while my main objective is trail riding I want to have someting that will be ok for road. I'm leaning toward the Cannndale F400 from REI on sale for $650 but two others in the same price range have also caught my eye - the K2 4.0 & the Wookstock 505. Woodstock, GA is near me and they seem to have a high rating on mtbr. Does anyone know about Woodstock Bikes? I've heard and agree that I should go with the best frame for the money. How do I find the best frame for the $$$? Does anyone have buying advice for me? I'm not married to buying any of the above so if you have other ideas please pass them on.
    Last edited by billhuss64; 03-13-2007 at 09:08 PM.

ride hard take risks
    I dont know alot about Woodstock but dang some good memories, oh where talking bikes here yaa. Have not heard anythingbad about them, all good.
    Another neighbor of yours that i do know very well is Ibex in Alpharetta Georgia. Awesome guality for the price & the customer service is tops!!!

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Trophy.html

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Alpine.html
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Still need help!!

dogonfr: Thanks for the input. Any other opinion out there???

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ok so the Woodstock doesn't look too bad..
    Compared to the Ibex 650.

::The woodstock probably has
    slightly worse fork, but its 100mm travel so you can upgrade to 100mm travel forks unlike the ibex's 80mm travel.

::Better deraillers, I think a lot of people like SRAM vs Shimano now, the X7s are the same as the ones on the trophy comp

::Rims?? I don't know if Speeddisc is higher than double duty or whatnot

::Same brakes

:: Ibex wins i think in the cranks dpt.
    Overall, I would say if you negate the 50 dollar price difference, its a 100mm travel vs a 80mm travel bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I can only talk about F400 and really like it. I think the frame is confortable and works well on what I ride. Headshock works well (although I am not a huge fan of removing front tire to air up). I like the sram x-7 shifters....areas to upgrade are grips and seat (although color coordinated). I never liked the seat, you might. Also, I dont know jack about wheels, but mine have held up very well...I kept the tires, but i am sure there are better, esp if your conditions are wet...tic tac toe, that's all I know.

Members who have read this thread: 0