What bikes should I be considering- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

What bikes should I be considering

I am not so much looking for "buy this bike" but more trying to narrow down which bikes I should be test riding and such to fit my needs. I'm not really sure what suspension travel, geometry, or wheel size would really be best for my situation

I am 6'1" (just over 185cm) fluctuate between 215 and 225lbs (97.5-102kg)

I currently live in Tucson AZ, but move every 3-4 years for work (military). Other places I am likely to end up in the future include Albuquerque NM, southern GA, and Norfolk VA. So terrain ranging from mountainous desert to relatively flat and wet for riding.

As for style, I currently do mostly trail style riding but I would like the option to go to a ski resort or bike park in the summer once in a while and do some gravity based trails as well. I like a bike to climb well but I am not looking to win an XC race. Basically I want a great trail bike that will work in all of those areas and be able to handle a bike park once in a while. Don't need to win any downhill races, just have fun.

Currently I am riding a Specialized Rockhopper 29er that I bought to get back into the sport (rode a bit in the early 2000's) and get a feel for riding again while I figured out what type of riding I would be into most. I do enjoy the 29in wheels but am open to looking at 27.5+ or normal 27.5. I have ridden a 27.5+ stumpy for a real short section of trail. But it was set up for a shorter (by 2in) and lighter (by about 40lbs) rider so the suspension felt wallowy to me. i did enjoy the tires though.

Budget target is around $3000 (USD) but I am willing to stretch that a little as long as I stay under $4000

mtbr member
    May 2017
    keep in mind that most new 27.5+ bikes can take 29 inch wheels. Thats is currently most customizable platform you can buy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    True, I am starting to lean that direction for that flexibility.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go to trail side demos or places that rent what might interest you. That was so worth delaying gratification for me and made it easy to decide on a purchase.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

I plan on doing that to the max extent possible, however, my work schedule severely limits my opportunities to do that. They have to happen on a weekend that I can get out of town, or when I am not away for work (roughly half the time) so I am trying to narrow down which demo's I should get to since I cannot get to them all. Looking to buy in about a year or so, so no rush in that regard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I guess to clarify, I'm unsure whether, for this use, I'd be better off with a mid travel trail bike (a la Stumpy, Genius, Remedy, et al), an enduro bike (a la Enduro, Slash, Genius LT, et al), or a shorter travel trail bike (a la Camber, Fuel EX, Spark plus)

I am using Specialized, Trek, and Scott as my examples here, but I am by no means limiting myself to those brands.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    mid travel 130-140 trail bike is a good target because it can handle all the things you mention. it might not excel at any of the tasks, but it will certainly be enjoyable. Funny thing is that 140mm used to be considered long travel about 5+ years ago. you might want to add Giant trance and Devinci to your concideration for the better value for the money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Awesome thanks! There is a giant dealer a mile from my house, may have to swing by!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbomber252 View Post
    Awesome thanks! There is a giant dealer a mile from my house, may have to swing by!
    Just throwing this out there- but you could also go used and get a 2-3 yr old bike and get both a enduro-downhill rig as well as a trail or XC bike for those kind of dollars. Granted, they may be aluminum, but for the life of me I don't understand the advantage of carbon on bikes with full suspension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestreljr View Post
    Just throwing this out there- but you could also go used and get a 2-3 yr old bike and get both a enduro-downhill rig as well as a trail or XC bike for those kind of dollars. Granted, they may be aluminum, but for the life of me I don't understand the advantage of carbon on bikes with full suspension.
    That is something I am considering as well. But space and the hassle of moving with multiple bikes every 3 years are my main hesitations. If I went that route I think I'd go with a shorter travel 29 or 27.5 trail bike and an enduro bike.