what bike to buy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

what bike to buy?

Hey fellas I come to you wise men for advice. I will be buying a bike within the month.
    My budget will be about 600-650. I am 28 yo, 6' tall weigh 280. I live in houston and will be using this bike for some road riding and trail riding. mostly singletrack with some roots. not many hills in my area. Hoping to lose weight.
    I am looking at the Felt niner trail http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011...e%20Trail.aspx
    Or the motobecane Fantom 29. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...antom29_08.htm.
    What would you buy and why.
    I cant ride either bike as the felt dealer in my city will not be carrying these in stock from what I have heard from them. But he will order it if I pay for it first.
    Thanks for your input

AZ
    banned
    I would buy the one that I could test ride , but I'm kinda picky like that . My two cents .

mtbr member
    Actually I just remembered I have a motobecane dealer in town so I can ride the moto. Not the felt though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    They're not really comparable. The moto looks like it's a much better bike. Plus, the graphics on the felt look tacky to me.

mtbr member
    ^^^^ yeah the moto seems to have better components and its also the one I can test drive.
    Well looking in another thread the gary fisher marlin was brought to my attention . It seems like a good deal as well.

I also have a chance to buy a 2007 gary fisher xcal from a lbs for 500 with a fresh tuneup to the whole bike. this bike has higher end components but is 4 years old and has been a rental bike.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catal77
    ^^^^ yeah the moto seems to have better components and its also the one I can test drive.
    Well looking in another thread the gary fisher marlin was brought to my attention . It seems like a good deal as well.

I also have a chance to buy a 2007 gary fisher xcal from a lbs for 500 with a fresh tuneup to the whole bike. this bike has higher end components but is 4 years old and has been a rental bike.

Warranty?

mtbr member
    yeah they would warranty the bike.

AZ
    banned
    That IMHO is a good choice if it fits you well .

Texan
    Where in Houston?

I'm on the west side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The last time I was at Webster Bicycle they had a Felt 29er or two in stock.

mtbr member
    Gary H I am on the southeast side.

I went to bicycle world on rice and kirby.
    I might go test ride that felt in webster. here sis a link to the specs on the 07 gary fisher xcal
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/264

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I would test the Felt Niner trail and if it feels and fits good then I would go with that. Imho I prefer to buy a bike at LBS that I tested so I know I like it. Also LBS offer free service sometimes which is a plus.

Also looks are a personal thing. I think the Felt Trail looks VERY nice. I am actually thinking of buying it. While I usually don't like a ton of graphics on a bike, the moto looks to basic and looks cheap to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Gary H I am on the southeast side.

I went to bicycle world on rice and kirby.
    I might go test ride that felt in webster. here sis a link to the specs on the 07 gary fisher xcal
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/264

That's where I bought my Santa Cruz since I didn't know Webster had JUST become a dealer. I'm surprised you live on this side of town and haven't been by Webster yet.

mtbr member
    ^^^I don't live that far down. I am in the loop. but will be moving just outside the loop in the next few weeks.
    joepa: i can test drive all 3 bikes. according to other guys there is a felt 29er in webster.
    there is a motobecane dealer in town as well. and the xcal is also at an lbs. so I just have to go and drive them this week.

SS Pusher Man
    Make sure you test ride the Felt......thier sizing is a little funky....they tend to run big. Normally I ride a 19.5".....but the 19.5 was too big and the 17.5 was way too small. I worked at a Felt dealer and really wanted to pick one up....but could not get them to fit right.....so I had to pass.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Well I am no longer looking for a bike. I just purchased a 2008 specialized rockhopper 29er
    disc. got it for 350. looks brand new, no scratches or damage to any of the parts. original tires have a bunch of tread. included was a cateye wireless computer. guy switched to road biking and didnt ride the bike but about 75 miles. It looks great.
    http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...29er&Type=bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Looks like a good deal, did you end up with a 19" or a 20" frame?

mtbr member
    ended up with the 19". didnt get a chance to ride it as it has been raining all day. hope to get out tomorrow morning for my morning ride.

mtbr member
    So i managed to beat the rain and get out for a ride this morning. wow what a difference. oh yeah the pedals suck really hard.
    "Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Make sure you set that fork up for your weight, most likely you'll need to max out the preload and if it has a rebound adjustment put it on fast(rabbit). You can soften it as you like from there but guys your weight(me too) really can push a suspension fork. if it is a coil fork you may want to change to the firmest spring. Put a ziptie around the stanchion and you'll see how much travel your using, helps to dial in the adjustments. Enoy your new bike I think you got a smokin deal on it!!

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?

Pics or it didnt happen!

Well I am no longer looking for a bike. I just purchased a 2008 specialized rockhopper 29er
    disc. got it for 350. looks brand new, no scratches or damage to any of the parts. original tires have a bunch of tread. included was a cateye wireless computer. guy switched to road biking and didnt ride the bike but about 75 miles. It looks great.
    http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...29er&Type=bike
    I've always wanted to "say" that.

mtbr member
    figured i would update with some pics of the bike i picked up.
    I left the reflectors on because I ride to the park in the mornings at 6 am. I dont wanna get hit.
    I have a headlight and taillight coming. So far so good. feels tons better than my last bike. I will upgrade thefork when it breaks, which shouldnt be long since i weight 278. Changed the grips out as well.

"Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    Nice score. I'm digging the orange.
    2018 YT Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

mtbr member
    thanks yeah me too. i am usually not a fan of bright colors but i really like this color on this bike. whats also cool is that the paint is like an old fighter plane scheme it even has a pinup girl on the bottom of the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    thats one sweet deal you've gotten yourself..

why cant i ever manage to find something like this

Members who have read this thread: 0