mtbr member

Weyless XP Frame or Gary Fisher Cake Frame

I realize this an apples to oranges comparison. But I have $500 to spend and I can either get a (new) Weyless XP frame with a 5th Element Air or a (like new) Fisher Cake with Manitou Swinger. What I need is a frame to build up an all-purpose trail bike. I am technically a clyde (215, 6'3") so I like the beefiness of the XP... I like the lighter weight of the Cake (who woudln't).... I don't do big drops, but I do like rocky singletrack.... what would YOU buy?

you said.. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psmithm
    I realize this an apples to oranges comparison. But I have $500 to spend and I can either get a (new) Weyless XP frame with a 5th Element Air or a (like new) Fisher Cake with Manitou Swinger. What I need is a frame to build up an all-purpose trail bike. I am technically a clyde (215, 6'3") so I like the beefiness of the XP... I like the lighter weight of the Cake (who woudln't).... I don't do big drops, but I do like rocky singletrack.... what would YOU buy?
    This is prolly too late but, The XP. The Cake has major chain suck problems and may not handle your weight well, that is why I avoided it. My wife rides an XP and my friend who is 220# rides an XP Pro with no problems on either. Bang for the $ it is hard to beat Weyless. The only caveat is the junky paint on all Weyless Frames, it is kinda soft and does not stand abuse well.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Weyless all the way. The Fisher is a lightweight all mountain bike and if you weigh over 200lbs it is better to err on the side of caution. My girlfriend was looking at a Cake for a general purpose trailbike and for my intentions of aggressive trail riding, the Cake just seems to dainty. Like the other poster stated also, Fisher bikes are notorious for chainsuck.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Cake for +240 lbs

I ride a 04 Cake 2 DLX and bring 240+ lbs (120 kg) for 9 Months now without having any probs at all. I have only upgraded the disc rotors to the big ones. I never noticed any weakness of the frame. The Cake construction is very stiff and very solid.

Cakes seems to be sensitive in term of chainsucks but I have never experienced one yet!!! It could even be the case that XL Frames arent that sensitive when it comes to chainsuck problems as I have never heard of any chainsuck problems with an XL Cake Frame.

Here is also a pic of my Cake as well :-)

I cannot make any comparison between a Cake and the other frame as I never got a chance to see or testride the XP Frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by psmithm

I've never ridden the XP but I can tell you that my Sugar has taken a serious beating and keeps coming back for more. It's a 2000 and is now official over 4 years old. I've done everything imaginable to it and have had 0 problems. Well, except for chainsuck when it's really muddy. It's been so good to me that I'm selling my Ellsworth and hoping back on it for about 3 months b/4 I get my Turner. I'd go with a Fisher and not worry about anything. It can take the abuse.

And why give SuperHo anymore of your money than you have too?
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!