mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Want a XC "ish" frame, SC Superlight and what?

I've decided to get another bike this spring. I'm looking for a light 4" XC, frame only. I currently have an El Kaboing (5" burly trail/light AM bike) and Blue Pig. Rarely do I find myself taking out the BP over my EK. If the trail doesn't lend itself to the Full Sus, it is usually so tight and twisty that the slack angles of the Pig detract from the simplicity of taking out a hard tail. If the BP had more XC geo I might feel differently about it. So, I'll be selling the Blue Pig and moving all of the parts over to the new frame.

This bike will be used for the more tame single track and when there will be a lot of climbing with less downhill bombing. I'd like it to be sub 6lb. but don't need the latest suspension design. I'm not opposed to flipping the PP on when needed.

I've owned a XC HT and a 4" XC bike in the past so I know what I"m looking for... more or less. My problem is that most of the new frames are well above $1500. I'd really like to top out around $1000 to $1200 which leaves only the SC Superlight as far as I can find. Am I missing anything or do I really need to drop $1800 - $2k on a frame? Are there any other good frames in my price range? I could always go used but would rather not if I can help it.

Also, the SC Superlight is supposed to be a little flexy. Anyone confirm or refute that claim? That is about the only down side that I've heard about that bike.

So, any ideas?

Thanks

T.W.O.
    I'd say Titus Racer X, I think is under 1k. It's under 6lb for sure. I'm not sure about Anthem but it's a great frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yeah mimi, that was on my list but they are ghosts now... unless you can fit the XL's. Pissed at myself for not jumping on that one while it was around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I ride a Mach4 so that is my first pick.
    On Pivot's site they have last years XL frame w/ shock and BB for $1,399 and all others for $1,499. Not sure if a dealer could cut you a better deal on one.

If that is above the budget I would do everything possible to pickup an Anthem X.
    The ride is pretty similar w/ the Anthem X being slightly stiffer. A friend picked up an Anthem X frame, nearly brand new, for $700 a little while ago.

I would avoid the SC SL simply because of the flex and bob. If you don't mind messing with the lockout it would probably be fine though.

mtbr member
    I owned a Superlight for years and I never found it flexy or bobby. I had an 05 with a FOX RP3 with propedal. The propedal eliminated any bob. It was a great bike. Climbed great and more than enough squish on the downhills. I weigh about 180 lbs. Maybe if you weigh more there were issues with flex, but I never experienced it. I lived in the Northeast and in NC and it handled roots and rocks like a champ.

Good bike.

RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks guys. Pivot Mach4 and the Anthem were both on my list if I could find them on sale or used.
    Joker, I know that the newer design on the SuperLight was supposed to have made the bike stiffer. I can deal with a little flex on this frame as I already have the EK for those burlier trails.

Mimi, or anyone else, have you ever ridden a Racer X Carbon? Curious to know how it rides. Looks like I can pick one up with the rp23 from Titus for about $1400. I would consider busting the budget for that bike, maybe for the Pivot as well.

T.W.O.
    M what size do you ride? Competitive Cyclist has a few good frames on sale, Ventana, Santa Cruz Blur lt, Yeti.

I've not been on the X carbon, but FTM carbon and it's very nice. They are very stiff and snappy. If you are going to up the budget then FTM is nice, but I'd go for Pivot or Flux anyday they are more plush riding xc than others I've tried so far without feeling inefficient.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks mimi. I would ride a S/M depending on brand, 23" ETT is about spot on.

Yeah, guess it would make more sense to go Pivot if I'm going to drop $1500. I'd really like to keep it around $1k though. I'll begin looking used as soon as I'm ready to make the purchase. The SC SL is still in contention though.

T.W.O.
    I still think that sc SL is a good choice for XC riding. The bike climb well without pp, looks good.

T.W.O.
    Niner air9 (carbon) or jet9. But of course it's another can of worm. Also ibis tranny.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sweet. Thanks for the feedback mimi. I saw some late model Anthems on ebay for really reasonable prices. Might go that route if I can find one that looks to have been well taken care of. Otherwise, SuperLt will most likely be the choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yeah, cannot convince myself to go the 29r route. I've got a fairly decent part spec, not the best but decent, to move over.

Members who have read this thread: 0