mtbr member

Used bikes and conditions advice - DENTS

I see alot of used bikes for sale where they describe that they have a "small dent - won't affect integrity". This is usually on the top tube or down tube.

So is this true that it won't affect integrity? Is it more serious at the top tube vs down tube?

It's not really sensible to see the bike first since these are usually across the US.

Would you buy a bike that was used as rental for one season?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FuelingAround
    I see alot of used bikes for sale where they describe that they have a "small dent - won't affect integrity". This is usually on the top tube or down tube.

So is this true that it won't affect integrity? Is it more serious at the top tube vs down tube?

It's not really sensible to see the bike first since these are usually across the US.

How much a dent affects the integrity really depends on the size of the dent, location of said dent, the wall thickness of the material, and the length of the piece of dented tubing.

Personally I would be really cautious purchasing a dented bike.

I would never purchase a used rental bike from a resort (like the Whistler Bike Park) those bikes are very used.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Not long after I got my Cannondale Killer-V as a replacement for a fully rgid one that cracked, I got a hell of a nasty looking dent/abrasion from rubbing against another bike will being transported in the guard's van of a train. I was so upset. I was concerned that the bike could fail on me anytime.

That was about 10 years ago and the bike's still going strong. I put some touch-up paint on, but that has mostly worn off. Not sure that I'd convince someone of the bike's integrity if I was to try to sell it (not that it's worth much now).

jrm
    mtbr member

best approach

Quote Originally Posted by FuelingAround

Is to get a pic of the dent and send the pic to the manufacturer and ask if you should worry. i also got a lot of good response from posting the dent pic in the manufacterer forum for that specific make.

Chrome Toaster
    As a general rule I immediately eliminate any potential used bike buy if it has a dent. Scratches and rub marks are generally fine and are merely cosmetic but I draw the line at dents. Its just not worth the risk most of the time.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    With used bikes or sports cars, I am very cautious. The price must be at a substantial discount to new and if anything makes me feel odd about the purchase, I back out. Trust your gut.
    Oh, and I would not buy a mountain bike I could not see and test ride.

mtbr member

pics of dents

Here are the pics of the dents -
    03 Kona Kikapu
    04 K2 Lithium 3.0
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

No good

At first glance I would ride the kona, but not the k2. The ding in the k2 is nasty looking.

I wouldnt buy a pre-dinged bike. You dont know if it has other frame alignment woes or other problems the buyer has, "missed". Stick to bikes that are, "used but not abused" showing, "normal signs of wear and tear including scratches and cable rub, but no dings".

I have bought a couple of great steel hardtails for $300 from ebay.