Used 2003 Hardrock Comp or new Hardrock?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Used 2003 Hardrock Comp or new Hardrock?

Hi,

I may be able to get a used in decent condition Hardrock comp from 2003 for $200. Is that a good buy, or should I spend the extra $150 or so to a newer bike like the hardrock sport?

Thanks!

Freshly Fujified

Similar bikes

The only major difference I see is that the '06 Sport has a 100mm fork, the '03 has an 80mm fork. Other than that, the bikes are very similar in the quality of components used in the builds. If the '03 is in very good condition and is the right size for you, I'd buy it and ride the thing until it dies.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    The only major difference I see is that the '06 Sport has a 100mm fork, the '03 has an 80mm fork. Other than that, the bikes are very similar in the quality of components used in the builds. If the '03 is in very good condition and is the right size for you, I'd buy it and ride the thing until it dies.

Bob

How much of a difference is 80mm to 100mm shock?

Muhuhahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde

Bob
    I second that. If it is the right size and you like it get it. Learn on it then move up later on or if you like riding it so much replace the fork later. My friends borther-in-law I think has a 02 or 03 and has replaced the fork turning it into a great urban bike that he rides ruff on.

Freshly Fujified

Minimal

Quote Originally Posted by HUSKERS
    How much of a difference is 80mm to 100mm shock?
    3" vs 4". If you're riding singletrack, the difference will be minimal. If your trails are more technical with larger obstacles, then the 100mm is probably a better choice. In the situation described by the original poster, I felt the difference in travel was negligable given the price of the used bike.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi,

Thanks again for your advice!!

Okay so here's the update... I checked out the bike. It turns out it is a 2002 hardrock comp. Everything is in good shape, but there are some paint chips on the frame. No rusting or anything, but does the paint normally chip easily?

Other than that, I do like it. It is the red model, which I don't see very often. It fits and feels great. But i would like to get your opinions.

Do you still feel its a good buy for $200 if it is a 2002 model?

Thanks!

Muhuhahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by hubbabubba
    Hi,

Thanks again for your advice!!

Okay so here's the update... I checked out the bike. It turns out it is a 2002 hardrock comp. Everything is in good shape, but there are some paint chips on the frame. No rusting or anything, but does the paint normally chip easily?

Other than that, I do like it. It is the red model, which I don't see very often. It fits and feels great. But i would like to get your opinions.

Thanks!
    Overall if it feels good riding it and if the body is in good condistion with the chips out of the paint for 200 bucks I would but it.

Freshly Fujified

Don't worry about chips

Quote Originally Posted by hubbabubba
    It turns out it is a 2002 hardrock comp. Everything is in good shape, but there are some paint chips on the frame. No rusting or anything, but does the paint normally chip easily?

Thanks!
    Paint tends to chip and rub off bikes prety easily. I'd offer the guy $150 cash and settle at $175. The bike is now 4 years old, going on 5. Condition aside, it loses value quickly. A new baseline Hardrock is $360. I think 50% of the retail of a new version of the bike is a reasonable price for a 4 year old bike, IMO.

Members who have read this thread: 0