mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Use of J-B Weld on Aluminum Frames?

does anyone have any experience with the use of J-B Weld or J-B Kwik for repairs to cracked welds on aluminum frames? I am exploring options for my poor old dual-suspension, which, due to its age, the manufacturer is not going to honor a warranty replacement for the frame. Is it safe to use in high-tension/flexure/torsion zones? Has anyone out there attempted to do this to their frame? If so, how was the outcome/finished product? I have also been checking into some local mom-and-pop welding shops who can do tig-welding to see if they'd be willing to grind out the cracked welds, prep the surfaces, and re-weld the spots that are no good. Any opinions out there?

mtbr member
    I would take the frame to the best race car chassis builder that wasn't too far away, and have the damaged areas TIG welded.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadsters
    I would take the frame to the best race car chassis builder that wasn't too far away, and have the damaged areas TIG welded.
    Yeah, then they have to re-heat-treat the frame.

OP - no, I would NEVER EVER EVER use it on a frame.

Unless you really live up to the "No Fear" mantra and don't fear faceplanting when that frame fails catastrophically.

Just replace the frame.

Members who have read this thread: 1