Thread: USA made bikes?

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005

USA made bikes?

Anyone know any besides Cdale? I found a USAmade site and the list was short, basically Cdale and merlin, though even I know there are a few more. Most treks are made overseas, but I am trying to find a hybrid type bike for a wife Made in the USA...Anything under $400, or even $300?
    Thanks
    Tony

Singletrack Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by monantony
    Anyone know any besides Cdale? I found a USAmade site and the list was short, basically Cdale and merlin, though even I know there are a few more. Most treks are made overseas, but I am trying to find a hybrid type bike for a wife Made in the USA...Anything under $400, or even $300?
    Thanks
    Tony
    Once you hit the $1500 mark then the Treks are made in Wisconsin. Don't think you are going to get a hybrid for that price though.

What about Breezer? Where are those made? They make some very nice city bikes.
    "I've got a card in my spokes, I'm practicing my jokes. I'm learning!"

mtbr member

worth considering

now would you rather buy a frame that's: been welded by a big ol' american boy who has just drunk his lunch - or a diligent little Taiwanease lad with a supervisor standing over him?

mtbr member
    Are USA made bikes better?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Maybe; maybe not... but at least buying American-made helps support American workers.

Singletrack Snob

Wink It depends...

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    It depends on what bikes you are comparing. There's a wide range of bikes made in the USA, and a wide range made overseas.
    "I've got a card in my spokes, I'm practicing my jokes. I'm learning!"

Jun 2005
    Talking to trek, I didnt get a good answer on where ($$-wise) the US frames started, closest I got was "Ireland" for that type of bike...

T

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by onyabike
    now would you rather buy a frame that's: been welded by a big ol' american boy who has just drunk his lunch - or a diligent little Taiwanease lad with a supervisor standing over him?
    That sort of sad generalization says alot about you and the stereotypes I think you believe in.
    And frankly the workmanship on my cannondale looks fantastic, so I guess I'll take a belt of that 'liquid lunch' ,which must be Slimfast (r) , no?
    T

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Some other companies that make at least some of their bikes in the US are: Mountain Cycle, Titus, Iron Horse, Tomac, Turner, Stork, Santa Cruz, Brooklyn, Rotec, and Ellsworth. The difference in quality i think comes more from the materials used than from who welds the bikes. There are going to be good and bad welders in the US and overseas, but the US materials are usually far superior to those used in imported bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by onyabike
    I think this is a stupid question, and whatever you buy is up to you.

Honestly, I own mostly road bikes, and my American-built road frames are VASTLY better built than many of my non USA built frames. I'm a collector with more than a few bikes, and besides riding, I study them for the art they are. This is not to say one country builds better than another, and we'd be naive to think that. I have great respect for the top French, Japanese, Italian, English (you get the idea, I hope), builders as well, and I've got nice bikes from them too. Heck, I'll buy a bike that's built by Martians if I like it.

Since I'm living in USA though, I'd rather see my "big 'ol American boy" neighbor doing well than the Martian. I won't buy junk from either one, and I like to think I can spot the difference.

Freshly Fujified

Coupla thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by monantony
    Thanks
    Tony
    Other than Cannondale, you'd probably be looking at a few boutique fabricators for bikes, and whether or not they'd offer a hybrid is the question of the day. If they do, your $300-$400 range is probably low, as having been in the market for a hybrid type bike, the good ones from the mass producers (Giant, Trek, C'Dale, etc.) run in that range.

Lastly, while it's honorable to want to keep the focus on an American made fram, keep in mind that almost every component you put on that American made frame will come from outside the US.

Good luck in your search, and let us know what you find.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery