Upgrading My Giant Trance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Upgrading My Giant Trance

I just bought my Giant Trance X4 ( I love the bike) but I want to make some changes and customize some things. First, there is not enough information about specific equipment on the Giant website, so I cannot go there. Second, we have only one LBS here in Vietnam and the guy that owns it is not always there and the staff either don't speak English or know much about anything they don't sell.

So let me start by asking.....
    I want to upgrade to a Chris King Threadless Headset. Will this install into my stock Giant trance x4 without modification? I have no idea if my Giant has a threadless headset, or integrated? Anybody know what will work? Thanks

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by cybrscot
    So let me start by asking.....
    I want to upgrade to a Chris King Threadless Headset. Will this install into my stock Giant trance x4 without modification? I have no idea if my Giant has a threadless headset, or integrated? Anybody know what will work? Thanks
    Giant uses a zero stack headset. What is wrong with the stock headset?

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

dude
    It should be integrated, although CK makes a headset for that too, I believe.

What makes you want to upgrade your headset? For $100+ USD that the headset costs, you can get something else that will actually effect the way your bike rides.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoedotorg
    It should be integrated, although CK makes a headset for that too, I believe.

What makes you want to upgrade your headset? For $100+ USD that the headset costs, you can get something else that will actually effect the way your bike rides.
    Integrated is not the same as zero stack. Zero stack still has shallow cups that are pressed into the frame. With an integrated headset, the bearing sits on a machined surface on the inside of the actual headtube.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nothing is wrong with anything, I just want to add some color and put some first class components on it. There are trance X4, x3, x2, and x1. The LBS only had a trance x4, so I want to change some things and bring it up to an x1 level!! But my bike has light blue accents, so I wanted to add some more blue anodized components to it I like the CK Patriot headset and the Rasta one. So my bike has a stacked headset?? I never heard of that one ( I believe you, I just didn't know) What else could I do for the $100 that would make a bigger difference? I'm going to put some better pedals (Azonic flat 420's) on it. I'm nervous to use carbon bars or seatpost because I'm about 240 lbs and if it breaks, it breaks ,know what I mean?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by cybrscot
    So my bike has a stacked headset?? I never heard of that one ( I believe you, I just didn't know)
    Nobody said anything about a "stacked headest." You want a "zero stack" headset. For some reading on the different standards, check this out:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=68#zero

No longer a hardtailkid.
    You want to add color?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=31891
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=31895
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=6267
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...px?ModelID=669
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...px?ModelID=147

Look at Hope products. Prettymuch everything they make can be bought in a color to suit your preference. Also, SRAM's X0 drivetrain has different color options. It's expensive and completely unnecessary for you right now, but it's just an example of what is out there. Post a picture of the bike if you don't mind. It may help us to find some more stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    id suggest changing things that actually will make a difference. wheels and fork? i think most trances come with nevegals, upgrading the rear will make a huge difference in speed.

especially at 240lbs, you'd hugely benefit from a 20mm fork and wheel. 140mm of travel is nice too.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    http://greenfishsports.com/product/3...-95-140mm.html

Good thought, but it will cost around $650 to get a 20mm wheel (if you don't care about matching wheels) and a new fork.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    If it were my bike, and after looking at it on the Giant website, here are some upgrades that I would do to it:

Brakes.
    Tires.
    Rear Derailleur.
    Shifters.
    Pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks everybody for all the help!!!

Ok..ok..ok....I'm def going to do the pedals to Azonic flats 420, and I have considered tires too. While I think the Negegals are good in the dirt and mud, I ride mostly on tarmac and commute, and some trails. The Nevegals are too beefy I think. Which tire would be good to thin it out and speed it up, while still maintaining the ability to go off road and hit a trail when I want?

I have disc brakes, what can I do to upgrade them?

Also the bike has WTB Speed Disc Wheels. I like the Azonic Outlaw in blue, also Crank Brothers in Blue (but Crank Bros. are very expensive) Are my WTB's heavy?

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Get better disc brakes. How much are you looking to spend?

No longer a hardtailkid.
    You really don't need to upgrade things like that. Just do small things. Like saddle, stem, handlebar, grips, tires, and other small things.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    If you are wanting to upgrade something big, upgrade your fork and wheels. But at this point, you just don't really neeed to.

Members who have read this thread: 0