Upgrading Giant XTC 1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Upgrading Giant XTC 1

Im going to buy the 2010 Giant XTC 2.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/5730/36261/

I am buying it because of its value. However, I would like to make a few hundred dollars worth of upgrades. What upgrades would you make if you bought this bike?

Also, what do you think about the front fork? I have heard these forks have gone downhill in the last few years. Will it be a problem?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Also, If I were to sell the wheelsets, how much do you think I could get for them?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I don't think you'd get a ton for the wheelset, but I think your decision ia a good one in this case. I like the idea of this bike vs. the "XTC 29er1". You can take the money you save and put it into a better wheelset and have an excellent rig.

If you could get $150 for the wheelset and put some funds with that and get something like a Hope Pro II / Stans Arch wheelset, you'd be sharting in the tall cotton

It wouldn't be a horrible idea to get an $85 LX crankset from Jenson, but the stocker isn't bad.

Other than that, I think you're good to go for a while.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    I'll take a different approach, well slightly than Jeffj......its a good deal, get it then get a good/lighter wheelset when funds allow and then if you do any commuting or road riding throw some nice 38mm semi slicks on this set and use them for that. I'd only consider upgrading the components when new if I could feel something about them I didn't like, other than that ride them until the break or wear out.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Members who have read this thread: 0