Upgrade the HT or by an FS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Upgrade the HT or by an FS?

I'm currently riding an 04 Fisher Big Sur. I've replaced the brakes, seatpost, stem and handlebars, but I still want to replace the crank and wheels, to lighten it up.

But before I sink $1,000 bucks into the wheels and crank, I'm thinking maybe I should just get rid of it and get a SC Blur instead. What do you think?

ride better, ride faster
    buy an fs (and learn how to spell buy). You wont regret either!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    A SC Blur is going to cost you much more than $1000! That's a big jump and not even a fair comparison. Why not stay on a hardtail?

Freshly Fujified

What is the goal?

You've made upgrades to the hardtail. You want to do more to lighten it up. Buying a f/s frame will add weight. You're contradicting yourself. What is the ultimate purpose of the upgrades and what is the intended use of the bike?
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

ride better, ride faster
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    A SC Blur is going to cost you much more than $1000! That's a big jump and not even a fair comparison. Why not stay on a hardtail?
    because a fs might be more fun and worth the extra $$ depending on trails ridden and riding style. It also depends how much you ride as to whether you can justify spending a whole lot more $$ to have a nicer ride...

Have you taken a full sus for a test ride yet? Go for a decent ride on one, preferably on trails that you know well and ride often. See if you like it, see if you can justify spending a few extra $$ to upgrade to a boingy bike for the type of trails you ride and your riding style...

You can talk about it all you like, but until you actually get out there on the bike you are never going to really know if you are making the right decision or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the info so far.

First of all, sorry for the misspelling.

I know an FS would be heavier, and I know a Blur is a lot more than $1,000. But I was at the shop over the weekend talking with the mechanic about cranks and wheels when the conversation turned to how nice the new Blur in the front window looked.

So then I started thinking, gee, it might be nice to have one. So I am exploring the possibility of getting one in the coming months. I'm likely going to test ride one next weekend, but I thought I would see what you all had to say.

I live in West Texas now, so most of my riding is over dusty, dry trails with lots of loose rocks and sand, few trees and lots of cacti. Most of the trails run along the canyon walls, so there is lots of short, steep climbing. Though, I may be moving back east in another year or two.

No good in rock gardens..
    You could score cranks and a wheelset for FAR less the $1000 off ebay.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It's called entrapment... when the nice LBS puts SC Blur's in the window!
    A SC is a worthwhile investment and you couldn't go wrong. Your decision might be do I get the LT or the XC! For overall trail riding I would get the LT.

mikeb
    wish i had a blur.

get a dualie.

i rode hardtails for almost ten years while i learned how to ride a mountain bike close to how they're supposed to ridden then i switched to a superlight.

if you get the RIGHT dualie there will be no turning back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb
    wish i had a blur.
    get a dualie.
    i rode hardtails for almost ten years while i learned how to ride a mountain bike close to how they're supposed to ridden then i switched to a superlight.
    Actually, there are people leaving dual suspension--> Singlespeed

No good in rock gardens..

And therein lies the rub!

Finding the right one.....
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member

k

Quote Originally Posted by inzane
    buy an fs (and learn how to spell buy). You wont regret either!!
    ok captain spelling bee. what kind of bike do you ride?

mikeb
    singlespeeds are for youngsters who like pain, not lazy guys who are well over forty.

Peace & Love
    singlespeeds are for youngsters who like pain, not lazy guys who are well over forty.
    perhaps....though one of my riding buddies would disagree (cant help but brag about him).

He is 61, recently entered a 24 hour race but had to be put in the 30-40 year old bracket as there were no older than 40 SOLO competitors. He WON the category and on top of it, did it on a fully rigid single speed. He also recently (this year) set the course record at the annual Fargo Hill climb with 50 ascents!

Peace & Love
    dont listen too closely to any of us who try to generalize about what is best for you.....only you can decide. It is lame in my opinion to make blanket statements that a HT or FS is better....aint no such thing.

If you like hardtails, stick with em, period.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    perhaps....though one of my riding buddies would disagree (cant help but brag about him).

He is 61, recently entered a 24 hour race but had to be put in the 30-40 year old bracket as there were no older than 40 SOLO competitors. He WON the category and on top of it, did it on a fully rigid single speed. He also recently (this year) set the course record at the annual Fargo Hill climb with 50 ascents!
    That's great, what does that have to do with lazy guys over 40?

mikeb
    for shizzle, your sixty one year old friend is an anomoly.

but i agree with your post about getting what one feels is best for him or herself. it's a personal choice and personally, i prefer my dualie for off roading.

monster member
    Hey Gallagher7,

Seek out shops having fs bikes for demos. You can often take a demo bike home for a weekend or so and try it on your favorite trails. Might cost up to $40 but it'll go a long way towards helping you decide on fs vs. hardtail. Sometimes if you end up buying any other bike from their shop they'll knock the $40 off.

btw- Don't beat the poor demo bike. It's a helpful service if a bike shop offers this, even at $40 or so. Try not to bang the pedals and crank arms on rocks and stuff.

Good luck!

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchanal
    That's great, what does that have to do with lazy guys over 40?
    good point....and what about lazy 37 almost 38 year olds like me?

Members who have read this thread: 0