Upgrade bike/Get new bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Upgrade bike/Get new bike

Howdy everyone!

Last fall I started getting into more more aggressive trail riding. Hitting up a few single tracks in my area here n there. This spring/summer I plan on getting into it pretty regularly.

Right now I ride a 03 Giant Rincon, which I am pleased with for the most part. Since starting to ride more aggresivly on the single tracks I ended up pushing my front fork to its limits.

My question is this:
    If my only issue is front fork, do you all think I should be able to get away with doing a simple upgrade to like a 100mm Rock Shox Tora?

I have been toying with the idea of getting a whole new bike, but for somthing I would like, I would end up spending a grand or so. What do you all think?

Suggestions comments or concerns?

Jan 2012
    Ahh the good ole Giant Rincon. My first bike store bike was a 1993 Rincon, and I put my 5th front fork on it after my freshman year in college (1999).

But to your situation. You could easily just replace the fork, but that's just a band-aid on the issue in my opinion. It seems like it would be a temporary fix being that you have changed your whole style of riding. What would likely suit your needs best is a new bike that is built specific to the kind of riding you do.

I'll tell you, my hand sure did cramp up signing that check for my nice new bike when I upgraded to a full suspension, but I never once thought about it after the first ride, or any ride since.
    Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If I were to get a new bike, it would probably have to be a hardtail. My budget would only allow me to run around a grand for a new bike. I found this on craigslist that might be worth checking out eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik/2848616149.html

Coming from the bmx scene, I have never been a fan of anything Specialized but the higher end stuff seems legit right? What is your take on this badboy?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    100mm zokes fork for $120 is going to be the cheapest route... but you'd need to add the cost of a disc brake up front to work
    Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2 Fork*from Hucknroll.com

that being said... It would depend on your budget... if I cash was tight I'd prob get the fork and save up from there...

but while a decent bike it was low end even back in it's day... so you're prob best off buying a new rig
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Jan 2012
    Well, do you really need a 29er? And that's a lot of money to ask for a used bike with a suntour fork. And I am not suggesting that a full suspension is what works for you, that's just what worked for me until I cracked my frame
    Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What kind of full suspension bike do you run Teqtonik? I could posibly check into getting a full suspension rig used maybe.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    could you be a bit more specific on "aggressive trail riding"

also some more info about you... a 29er may or may not be right for you... but with what info we've got we can't really say
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Me: 21 y/o male 5' 10'' 170lbs.

I ride on singletracks around my area. The trails are rated (Circle), (Square), (Diamond). I ride the Blue Squares or Black Diamonds mostly. They have some pretty crazy spots with jumps and rythem sections and even a boulder section where you need to navigate through the set. I usually ride at a pretty good pace which is where I take a beating. Also why I refer to this as aggressive riding.

Jan 2012
    I ride a BMC trail fox, but I can't exactly endorse it. I am on my second one right now and the frame has cracked in the exact same spot on both of them so far. Granted I am 6'3" 220 and ride pretty hard. You would likely have a hard time finding a full suspension bike in your price range. I ended up spending 1700 on my first one when it was on sale, and the second was a warranty replacement.

It sounds like you are really growing in your riding and could possibly be riding the kinds of trails that a full suspension bike would really benefit your style. However, there are aspects of a 29er that might also work better. What state are you riding in? Also, I can't stress enough to someone in the market for a new frame the importance of RIDING it. Nothing will compare to getting an actual feel for it.
    Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am riding in Central/Northern Wisconsin. So the trails are VERY different in specific regions. Some are filled with massive amounts of terrain and some are more free flowing. I will head on over to a few Local Shops probably tomorrow afternoon and ride some frames and get some pointers from them. Both of the owners of the shops I go to are active in the cycle clubs that maintain the single-tracks in/near my city. So they will be able to point me in the right direction also I would imagine.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedchicken View Post
    I am riding in Central/Northern Wisconsin. So the trails are VERY different in specific regions. Some are filled with massive amounts of terrain and some are more free flowing. I will head on over to a few Local Shops probably tomorrow afternoon and ride some frames and get some pointers from them. Both of the owners of the shops I go to are active in the cycle clubs that maintain the single-tracks in/near my city. So they will be able to point me in the right direction also I would imagine.
    that sounds EXACTLY like the kinds of shops you should talk to... I hang out at a shop similar (guy is a founder of the local MTB club)... real riders will tend to steer you in the right direction
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Support OUR Wounded
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedchicken View Post
    If I were to get a new bike, it would probably have to be a hardtail. My budget would only allow me to run around a grand for a new bike.I found this on craigslist that might be worth checking out eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik/2848616149.html

Coming from the bmx scene, I have never been a fan of anything Specialized but the higher end stuff seems legit right? What is your take on this badboy?
    Just looking at the craigslist from a finance point of view.Thats an ok bike for a beginner, but the seller is asking way too much.

It was 940 MSRP new (not the 1100 he claims), it's last years model so take off 20% and you're at 752 to buy the bike brand new at an LBS somewhere, since you are getting it used, at the very least (assuming the bike truely is perfect) you have to add in the cost of two tune ups (inital tune/true + one other that bike shops always give) at 75 a pop)to get to a best offer of 602. And even at that cost this is a risky buy at best because the componets on this bike are truely entry level (suntour and alivio), and are reported to wear faster than higher level components. Plus you are no longer able to use the frame warranty that most companies offer (usually 3-5 years for the orginal owner).
    They were willing to give their lives for yours, some of them did, others just gave up their way of life. Support the WWP.

Members who have read this thread: 0