Turner 5 Spot or Santa Cruz Nomad?- Mtbr.com
    breathing helium

Turner 5 Spot or Santa Cruz Nomad?

I live in WA State and need a new frame. I ride mainly cross country but would like it to be able to handle some drops/jumps as well. I have narrowed it down to the Turner 5 Spot and the Santa Cruz Nomad. I have ridden a 5 Spot and liked it but have never ridden a Nomad. I realize that 5-6" rear travel seems like a lot for xc use, but some of the trails around here are pretty gnarly. I'm planning on a Fox Talas either 36 or standard.

Anyone have experience on both of these frames? Care to comment on the pros/cons of these frames?

Thanks!

mtbcat.
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cocheese
    I live in WA State and need a new frame. I ride mainly cross country but would like it to be able to handle some drops/jumps as well. I have narrowed it down to the Turner 5 Spot and the Santa Cruz Nomad. I have ridden a 5 Spot and liked it but have never ridden a Nomad. I realize that 5-6" rear travel seems like a lot for xc use, but some of the trails around here are pretty gnarly. I'm planning on a Fox Talas either 36 or standard.

Anyone have experience on both of these frames? Care to comment on the pros/cons of these frames?

Thanks!
    I have a 36 rc2 talas like new for sale 620.00 .p.m. if interested great fork. thanks mtbcat. p.s. two great bikes I ride a nomad

No, that's not phonetic
    You live in the Pacific North Wet? Santa Cruz quoted me a 7-month bearing life for the pivots riding in constantly wet conditions like I have at home. Turners bushings last me years no matter how soupy it gets. If you want to avoid creaks and a lot of expensive pivot replacements, I'd suggest the Turner. If you live on the eastern slope of the Cascades, this would be less of an issue.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Giant Reign 1 is cheaper than both you mentioned & the Meastro sus works great!! Giant have a really well though out GS.

breathing helium
    Thanks mtbcat. I'll give that some thought.

Thanks tcheezy. I would have never thought of the bearing replacement issue. It is VERY wet up here as well, though I'm not quite as far north as you are!

Thanks AdamD79. I have not considered the Giant but will do some research on it.

mtbcat.
    May 2006

Thanks tcheezy. I would have never thought of the bearing replacement issue. It is VERY wet up here as well, though I'm not quite as far north as you are!

Thanks AdamD79. I have not considered the Giant but will do some research on it.
    cocheese I got 5 months on my nomad bottom bearings before replacing santa cruz sent free bearings in 4 days. if your going to get a vp bike your going to have to do maintanace its all about what ride you like better try both let us know what you think make sure the suspension is set up right very important

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If your thinking Nomad but more cross country why not the Blur LT?

More importantly Intense would be a better choice for you than Santa Cruz.

thats right living legend

I think for what you describe, the 5-Spot would be more fun anyway...

breathing helium
    Thanks again for the info guys. It may be more fair to compare the RFX/6-Pack with the Nomad, no?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks again for the info guys. It may be more fair to compare the RFX/6-Pack with the Nomad, no?
    6-Pack with Nomad is the fair comaprison.

No, that's not phonetic
    If anyone is bargain hunting, the remaining stock of 2006 RFX/6-Packs is being sold for $1395 (at every participating retailer, I think) to make way for some slight model changes in the 2007 RFX.

(For those curious about 07 RFX rumors, the Turner board is a good place to start )
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks!
    The Yeti 575 is a cross country-ish 5+ inch travel bike that you should consider. 27-28 pounds and around $3K.

breathing helium

Thanks!

Thanks for the help guys. I've decided on the 5 Spot as the frame of choice. I've owned one before and it's one of the few frames that I'd buy again...so I did! Again, I appreciate the insight you have provided.

I'll post pics when it's complete.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys. I've decided on the 5 Spot as the frame of choice. I've owned one before and it's one of the few frames that I'd buy again...so I did! Again, I appreciate the insight you have provided.

I'll post pics when it's complete.

An excellent choice, you will appreciate starting a relationship with a turner again.

Bike to the Bone...
    Maybe it would be a more direct comparison, but I think that maybe a 5-Spot is what would be right for what I understand that you described.

Members who have read this thread: 0