Trek Fuel EX8 or Giant Trance X2?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Trek Fuel EX8 or Giant Trance X2?

Well, I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm looking at these two bikes for now. Which would be the better choice to go with? I ride mostly XC for fitness. No racing or freeriding or any of that stuff. Strength of the bike is most important to me, as I weigh 250lb with gear while riding. The frame cracked on the cheapy Diamondback Recoil I was riding and want to upgrade to a solid quality bike. Weight is purely secondary. I want a sturdy and solid bike that will give me years of riding. I checked out the Fuel EX8 at a LBS. Felt solid and pretty nice but I don't know too much about bikes so thought what you seasoned riders would suggest. I'm also open to other bikes also. I just saw these 2 bikes in person and liked em. Share your suggestions and thoughts please! Thanks.

T.W.O.
    How does it fit you. Both bike are in the same category and travel. Both suspensions are very impressive. Both would do what it's designed for XC trail riding I'll say this Trek is an impressive climber without the pp bun it's on the firmer side as the pedaling especially in small ring almost like SinglePivot trade it's not a bad trade but it's there. Trance X would just feel plusher on the climb over bumps and obstacles.

On the descend the role reverse a bit as Trek's ABP really shine, it feels like the rear is stickier. I rode many ABP equipped bikes and it always impresses me how deep into the corner without any scratches. Trance X like my Mojo are not as active, they are good but ABP is better.

I like less XC geometry so I prefer the GF Roscoe to Trek Fuel EX but the suspension is just as impressive. If you like Trek fit and geo better than Trance then go for it or vice versa, you won't be disappointed with either choices. They both good choices.

BTW do a search on Trance shock I could be wrong but I read somewhere that some heavier rider has a problem setting up the shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm also looking at the Giant Reign 2 now. Haven't checked it out in person yet but damn, that bike looks solid. It's an AM bike too, so I'm assuming it will handle my weight just fine and give me long years of riding.

All fat, all the time.
    Since you're a bigger guy, looking at the Giant Reign or Trek Remedy might not be a bad idea at all. Not much heavier frames, but the bike should handle your size better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The new Trance X2 is a superb bike. I tested it up and down some stairs around my LBS and it's very solid, suprisingly so for a 5 inch bike. Although I'm not going to say it's as stiff burly as my 7 inch freeride bike riding up and down stair it's certainly very impressive around obstalces. The steering on the 2011 Trance X2 is also very precise and well planted,definitely more so than my 2008 Trance X1.

The Trance X2 does have two advantages over the Fuel EX8 15mm t/a fork and Fox boost valve technology.

1. The 15mm t/a fork could be a signifcant advantage if you're a heavier rider who goes through rock gardens.
    2. The boost valve technology works well with the Maestro suspension system and I have hit 3 foot drops in rock gardens on my Anthem X3 29er without any drama.

The Trance may also have a slight advantage in brakes Elixir 5's versus the Shimano SLX brakes on the Fuel EX8. However I'm not a fan of either brake and feel that even for my weight of 190 lbs that I wanted something with more bite. The Elixir CR's are ok but I prefer a proper four caliper brake such as a Code R,you may look into upgrading the front rotor to a 203 for your weight level on either bike.

However I will say that the Fuel EX 8 from all the second hard reports I've read seems to be a very nice bike,and it's also noticeably cheaper.

I think it's really an issue of what deal you can get on the Fuel EX8 versus the Trance X2. In your case I think having the extra money to upgrade the brakes will make the biggest difference in your riding experience.

As far as the 2011 Reign is concerned you're going to have to change out the air sleeve or use a shim. The XV air sleeve simply has too much volume so it compresses too easily,even for lighter riders. Note this really isn't an expensive option the shim will probably cost less than $2.00 and a new sleeve from Fox runs about $40.

Here's the Reign 2 thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=677929
    Last edited by mefistofeles; 04-05-2011 at 05:25 PM.

T.W.O.
    I think that Trek DCRV shock would edge the BV on Trance. I agree Elixir sucks, I have the cr on my Bltc I hate it. Magura Louise BAT and Shimano XT is better for about the same price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How is the warranty from Giant? Browsing through the forums from time to time I always see good things about warranties from Trek.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Giant is offers a lifetime frame warranty,to the original owner. You occaisionally hear stories of people getting 10 year old frames replaced under warranty.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/page/175/

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    My LBS reports(2010-2011):

Trek Fuel EX8 warranty frame replacements = 11

Giant Trance X warranty frame replacements = 2
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Is it just me or does the guy with the Giant logo under his handle seem to have an agenda?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    lol. okkkk, let's try to stay on topic... I've been looking into the AM bikes and now I'm also looking at the Specialized Pitch Pro now. So, as of now my choices are Giant Reign 2, Trek Fuel EX 8 and Specialized Pitch Pro. I'm not really considering a Trance X anymore. What do you guys think will be best bang for the buck? I like all 3 to tell you the truth. damn it. Most important thing to me is the strength, durability of the bike and of course good warranty. Man, decisions decisions! :P

T.W.O.
    What's your budget again?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I would like to stick to around $2500 but max will be $3000.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish
    Is it just me or does the guy with the Giant logo under his handle seem to have an agenda?
    Not even...that is based on fact.

OP, the best bang for $3000 is the 2011 Cannondale Jekyll 5. I tested one on the trails last week, and it is a rocket uphill and downhill...omg:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/moun...jekyll-5-16013
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ok, so here's my final list of bikes I'm considering. They are all '11 Models.

1. Giant Reign 2
    2. Trek Fuel EX 8
    3. Trek Remedy 7
    4. Specialized Pitch Pro
    5. Specialized Enduro Comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would probably go with either the Reign or the Remedy 7. For the following reasons:

1. Both the Reign and the Remedy use a tapered steerer.
    2. Both the Reign and Remedy have a 15 mm t/a
    3. The Reign uses Fox's boost valve,which makes a huge difference if you're going to go through the rough stuff.
    4. Trek uses DRCV,which is suppose to be able to take hard hits well.

I would write off the Specialized bikes right off the bat for the following reasons:
    1. No tapered headtube
    2. No special rear shock technology such as boost valve or DRCV.

Although you could go with the Fuel EX 8 I dislike the fact that it doesn't come with a 15mm or 20mm t/a. I feel as though Trek deliberately tries to screw the buyer sometimes and excludes features just to create new categories or to make you go up to the next higher model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yea, I been looking at these bikes online all day and I'm pretty much thinking the same things as you mefistofeles. It's a tough call. If I get the Reign 2 I can save considerably compared to the Remedy 7 but some of the components on the Reign 2 leave somewhat to be desired while the Remedy 7 I can def make do for awhile without upgrading. I guess I will pay a bit more and lean towards the Remedy.

T.W.O.
    Well since the can of worm's open I don't know if I'd go with Reign 2 because for very little added weight I can get Reign X. It still climb just as well, you get better shock option(upgrade) and ISCG05 tab. Ever since X was available I've never consider the Reign.

If you are not going to do freeride stuff and you can find one available in your area then I'd get GF Roscoe (1/2/3)? There's a lot of eggs in one basket on that bike. Tapered HT, ABP, G2 geometry, Custom valved DCRV, Fox RC4, and 15qr. I said many times before if I don't already have 4 bikes at 140mm travel I'd own one already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I guess I will pay a bit more and lean towards the Remedy

If you're willing to pony up more money I would look at the Giant's Reign 1. I think it's a definite step up over the Remedy 7's setup.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....1/7323/44548/

1. The brakes are better
    2. The Reign 1 has uses Shimano's ten speed drive train.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I might be bias but I would go with the reign 2. I bought one a month or so ago and paid 1950 for it. Take that money you saved and do some upgrades. I like the white 2 over the grey 1. I came off a 2010 Trek Fuel ex 5 with tons of upgrades and I feel the Reign does everything better than the Trek. The remedy is a nice bike I finally sat on one this weekend and it was good. But for what you pay for its not better than the reign 2.
    2016 YT Capra
    Ash Caynon

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    not to throw a wrench in all this. my riding buddy is about 235lbs with all of his gear on and has been abusing a 2009 Trance X3 for a while. We have mix of tech, single track, fireroads well pretty much everything. Other than replacing the chain and cassette this year the bike is still stock and he has had no major issues with it.

rollin
    Oct 2009
    I am running an 09 Trance X3 and am around 225 with gear and such....nothing but a blast from the start....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    Not even...that is based on fact.

OP, the best bang for $3000 is the 2011 Cannondale Jekyll 5. I tested one on the trails last week, and it is a rocket uphill and downhill...omg:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/moun...jekyll-5-16013
    otherwise known as crack'nfail coz they snap often

Members who have read this thread: 1