mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Trek Fuel Ex or similar

I have been looking on ebay for a few months for a Trek Fuel Ex 8 or similar in a size 17.5". I have test drove a lot of bikes at LBSs and the Fuel Ex is what I liked the best. I also liked the Giant Trance but I did not like the high stand over height. A 2008-2009 Ex 8 has been selling for around $1500 on ebay. After missing a bid on a nice bike this morning I started to look at a new one. All the new ones are either black, gray or silver. What happened to colors? I love the green on the 2009 Ex 8. With spring just around the corner, I suppose I need to widen my options. So what suggestions to you have for me? I'm 5'8", looking for a full suspension trail bike around $1500 used, or $2000 new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I checked the website and you can still get the green color (called Matte Sepia) in the 2011 Fuel EX 8. I just got my 2011 EX 8 but it is in black. I think the upgraded technology and components are worth going for a 2010 or 2011 model.

mtbr member
    The EX8 is a great bike. I love mine. And you can get a 2011 in a greenish color, as veloduffer said. I have to say, though, that color shouldn't be the make-or-break issue with a bike...but that's just my opinion.

Trail Rider
    2011 colors

Trek Fuel EX 9.8
    Trek Checkpoint SL 6

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Wow my 2010 Fuel Ex 9 is Matte Sepia and I love it. They made almost the same color in the Fuel Ex 8? That looks almost like my bike except this has more orange. That kind of sucks

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    For 2011's Fuel lineup, only the EX 8 has a choice of colors according to the catalog/website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks. I didn't notice the color choices on their website at first. The color isn't the deciding factory for me, just a small complaint. What about a 2011 Ex 5? I wouldn't mind saving a grand.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jayaimzzz
    What happened to colors? I love the green on the 2009 Ex 8.
    I'm with you on this one. I think the official name was "khaki satin green" or something like that. It was an absolutely gorgeous bike.

The matte sepia color Trek has offered the past two years is also sweet. If only I had the dough ...

Members who have read this thread: 0