Trek Fuel EX 8 vs Stumpjumper FSR Comp- Mtbr.com
    Ride Hard or Ride Home
    Jul 2006

New question here. Trek Fuel EX 8 vs Stumpjumper FSR Comp

I have ~2000 USD to spend on a mountain bike. I know I want to either go with the Specialized or Trek brand. I found what I believe to be two comparable bikes in my price range, but am at a standstill as to which one I should buy. It's probably a matter of preference at this point, but I thought I'd ask the Mtbr forum. I do mainly aggressive trail riding with lots of long ups, downs, sharp turns, and small obstacles. I love to get into the mountains when I can, but that doesn't come too often. Or is there another Specialized or Trek bike I should purchase for the money and the style of riding I do.

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...029&spid=12790

Trek Fuel EX 8: http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1164600&f=14

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    They are very similar bikes but the Specialized has 120mm of travel and the fuel only 100. the fuel has the Reba race fork which is very nice. See if you can ride both of those and then base your decision on that. Personally I would get the Trek because I ride Trek.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Test them out and choose. I would go with the Fuel because it is a nice set up and a excellent fork.
    East*Bay Riders Union

CRANK BROTHERS

Keep Castro Alive!

mtbr member
    They are both spec'ed out about equal from what i can tell. They both have really good forks The biggest differences are the amount of travel you get, and the suspension designs. The suspension of the Trek will stiffen under chain load ( a good thing for climbing), but it will also stiffen under braking forces (a bad thing for descending), though it wont feel as stiff as a HT. The susp. on the Stumpy will not stiffen under chain load or braking by design. This gives you all the travel while climbing over roots and descending down steep rocky stuff. You can get some bobbing while climbing, but it is very minimal, and non-existent if you have a good pedal stroke, even climbing out of the saddle. It climbs really well, descends even better, and corners great in tight stuff. I'm a big fan of the FSR (horst-link) susp. and the adjustable platform of the Triad. It is what made me choose a Stumpy. My biking buddy rides a Trek, and he has nothing but good things to say about it. I think his bike might be a pound or so lighter than mine, but ever since i've gotten my stumpy...he's been riding behind me (most of the time).

But it all comes down to fit/feel and rider preference. Test ride, test ride, test ride. You'll be happy either way. Sorry for the long rant, hope my opinion helps.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I recently purchased a fuel EX 7, and have about 120 miles on it, and I have nothing but good things to say. The fuel climbs like a champ and descents are far quicker and more controllable. That being said I have no experience with the specialized, but I do fully recommend the EX.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I recently purchased the Stumpy FSR. It's my first full suspension bike and so far so good. I rode several of Giant's full suspension bikes but, once I got on the Stumpy, it just seemed to fit me so well I never bothered to get on a Trek. You can't go wrong either way, so it will come down to which one you're most comfortable on. Can you ride them back to back?

mtbr member
    So what made you rule out GIANT and the Trance line of bikes? I do believe that in this selection list you should have the Trance2 and most people who are looking in that price range normally have those 3 bikes in their list. The Maestro suspension design pedals so good and works so well as it is advertised. I'll point you to this thread which was a discussion for buying these bikes with some very good info and first hand knowledge.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    run very fast away for the trek they are the biggest peice of crap outside of walmart. I had a liquid that had the seat tube snap though the weld and another ride on a fuel 80 has had his in the shop for a month with a useless seat tube. any bike from trek using the so called state of the art z 9000 metal is junk. there are alot more posted on the review with the same problem of the trek mountian bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Fuel suspension is slightly racier (not quite as active, good for smooth fast riding). I personally prefer the FSR style suspension (I ride an Intense Tracer), and I think it is the best you'll find for the type of all around riding that you seem to do (except the more expensive VPP designs like the Santa Cruz Blur).

If you can find a shop with a little test track that you can demo each bike on, that would really help you make the decision. You should be able to feel the difference fairly quickly (maybe not so much if you've never owned a full suspension bike).

fwiw, both designs are very tried and true designs that have been around awhile. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006
    Go with the Trek. Screw what btanner said. Like everyone else said, go ride them first. Fit is just as important as quality.

Or get a Fisher Race Day

Portland, OR
    well the two bikes are pretty similar, like one said, there bolth spec'ed about the same. but, I used to work for a shop that sold Trek, not only were they absolutly horrible to deal with, but the trek bikes came in more often for broken frames/repairs. I strongly reccomend by the Giant Trance series. the meastro is amazing. if I had the cash I would definatly put it twords one of those.

this might be a little out of your pricerange, their website says $2200.00. but this is a really sick bike. I would ride a Giant over any Specialized or Trek.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just got an 06' stumpy comp a few weeks ago. I did look at the treks in the same price range, but I just didnt like them. Sure they had good parts on them, but I for some reason I just didnt "feel" like I was on a $2000 bike. Granted It was just a parking lot ride But it just didnt feel good. I did find a LBS that takes part in the specialized test bike program. I was able to take out the FSR for a real ride and get it dirty and everything. later that week I got one. two things that I liked on the stumpy comp that the trek didnt have is the Jucie 5's, and the triad rear shock. also I got a good deal on it. $1799.99
    Three out of the four voices in my head say, "Go for it!"

2010 Ventana El Comandante

08 Kona Unit 2-9

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    for the money look at the bobs-bicycle at the marin wolf ridge for freeriding
    or the marin rift I have ridden both of these in color. and loved the suspension.
    or you can get a frame and spec it yourself at pricepoint.com
    also consider the bmc bikes not a big name in the us yet but they will catch on quick speedgoat.com carries the frame and complete bike .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by btanner
    run very fast away for the trek they are the biggest peice of crap outside of walmart. I had a liquid that had the seat tube snap though the weld and another ride on a fuel 80 has had his in the shop for a month with a useless seat tube. any bike from trek using the so called state of the art z 9000 metal is junk. there are alot more posted on the review with the same problem of the trek mountian bikes.

How much do you weigh?

There's no app for this.

Stumpy thoughts for you

I've an 06 Comp and ride the Norshore in Vancouver with it. Made changes at purchase that you might want also, just a thought...I dumped Shimano shifters for SRAM X9, and had the shop swap the Truvativ cranks for Shimano XT Hollowtech and cassette (lighter than the LX stock one.) they did this all at no charge. Note that I'm in Canada so the parts spec might be a bit different. The bike is the best trail bike I've ridden, I can't talk to TREK, never been on one. FWIW, 28lb even at the shop scales.
    Good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    as much as I hate to say it, Trance is kinda heavy and lack the extra travel. Thats the Maestro weakness.

Ogden Utah

Just Bought the FSR SJ Comp

Good Day Guys..............I just purchased the FSR SJ Comp (Size L) ...........My choice was between the Giant Reign & Trance & Specialized..........The Reign was a bit more than I would use & the Trance travel & bottom bracket height (12" ish) was too low........The FSR SJ Comp at near 5" travel & BB height at 13.5" seemed right..........I just received my Thomson 90mm stem & Race Face Next bar & will install this weekend.............Never looked at Trek.........Anyway look at all the dimensions (Travel / BB height & component mix plus price) & take a swing

Take care guys.....................Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    nice bike dude, really love it, one thing bothers me, you cant bring down your seatpost all the way am I right? because of the shock placement and frame design?

Are you talking to me?

cross chaining.

Quote Originally Posted by GTLTSJoe
    Good Day Guys..............I just purchased the FSR SJ Comp (Size L) ...........My choice was between the Giant Reign & Trance & Specialized..........The Reign was a bit more than I would use & the Trance travel & bottom bracket height (12" ish) was too low........The FSR SJ Comp at near 5" travel & BB height at 13.5" seemed right..........I just received my Thomson 90mm stem & Race Face Next bar & will install this weekend.............Never looked at Trek.........Anyway look at all the dimensions (Travel / BB height & component mix plus price) & take a swing

Take care guys.....................Joe

Hey Joe? did you notice that in your photo your rig is severly crosschained? You may want to avoid the big/big and small/small gearing. Your drivetrain will last longer.

(If you know, nevermind.) Nice bike. Get it dirty.
    gfy

Ogden Utah

damion

You have the eye of the eagle my friend .........Im just a bit of your poor mans photographer & I always take my pics in the large ring position........Good catch ..............Joe

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you have not purchased yet ask your local TREK dealer what he can do for you on a 2006 model EX9. I picked one up for $1700.00 which was a special situation but around $2000.00 should be possible if they are not real greedy. It also depends on if there are any left in your size as well. They should be able to tell you in minutes if they have distributor web access. Worth asking about for the upgrades it will get you.

mtbr member
    I'm looking at getting the stumpy and I went to my LBS and demoed one. I have not been more impressed by any other bike then the stumpry. I'm sold on one. Don't waste your money on the trek. I demoed the Ex-8 and I thought the stumpy smashed it. It has killer acceleration and descends like nothing. I smoked my friend who has a VP-free downhill the other day, he was close behind but nonetheless, he bought me the beer that night. I wouldn't consider any other bike in that price range and specialized has lifetime warranty on their frames. I know trek does too but, in case you didn't know. I can't wait to get mine.

Ogden Utah

Mr.Wheelhot

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    nice bike dude, really love it, one thing bothers me, you cant bring down your seatpost all the way am I right? because of the shock placement and frame design?
    Yes.....With the interrupted seat post You can lower the post only so much.........Make sure you get the right frame size......I also removed 2.5" off the seat post so now I can lower the seat way more than I would need.........Its certainly not a downhill frame...........Its a sweet ride..........Joe

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe

Why not compare these two with the Fisher Deluxe? Seems to be in the same price and performance range. IMO

I am looking into buying that one as a FS XC bike..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The Fuel EX8 and Stumpy FSR are radically different bikes. I own an EX8. A team mate of mine rides a FSR.

Handling -
    FuelEx: Sharp and touchy, great for technical stuff
    FSR: Smooth and swoopy, great for those long, speedy runs and climbs

Weight -
    FuelEx: Can be built down to 24-25lb
    FSR: Can be built down under 24lb.

What I tell people is if you are looking for more of a downhill bomber that can climb, the Fuel Ex line is excellent. If you are looking for an all around great bike, the FSR is the way to go. Both are great.

Members who have read this thread: 1