Trek Fuel ex 8 vs Specialized Stumpjumper 2019 vs Rocky mountain instinct alloy 50- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Trek Fuel ex 8 vs Specialized Stumpjumper 2019 vs Rocky mountain instinct alloy 50

In the market for my first full suspension mtb. Those three bikes are what seem like good all around options in my price range at the shops I trust. Thing is, I'm not sure I'll be able to test them on the trails so I'd like to gather some inputs. I want something versatile that I can grow with, but don't plan on doing too nasty stuff because I am a big ***** and want to stay in one piece.*

What I think are the plusses of each:

The trek comes with a better drivetrain (either 1x12 eagle or Shimano 2x11 which I might lean for) and reactiv shock for better pedalling efficiency. Bike shop not as conveniently located tho. 130mm front and back.

The Stuntjumper has a threaded BB and a 170mm crank in my size (the two others are 175mm and I can't ride that for fitting reasons) . But at 150/140 of travel and with pretty wide tires, it might be too much bike for me. Some reviews seems to mention it's a bit heavy.

The Rocky mountain looks the best imo and I would appreciate buying Canadian. 140/140mm.

So, can anyone with experience on either of these bikes care to share their opinion?

BigSki
    Jan 2014
    I sold my 2014 Fuel EX 9 and bought the 2018 RM A70 (noting that a the two TREK Fuels are completely different bikes). Your thinking sounds like it's going in the right direction to me: All are great bikes and for me it always comes down to 1.) How you feel on the bike, 2.) What your application is--what's your 'home' course and what do you want/hope to do where you ride? and 3.) Cost. The Stumpy will roll over just about everything you'll throw at it. The TREK sounds like adequate but I always appreciate a more local shop. The RM sounds like the happy medium here--Sturdy, enough squish, 1x12, Canadian (for you!). What did you finally decide on?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
    I sold my 2014 Fuel EX 9 and bought the 2018 RM A70 (noting that a the two TREK Fuels are completely different bikes). Your thinking sounds like it's going in the right direction to me: All are great bikes and for me it always comes down to 1.) How you feel on the bike, 2.) What your application is--what's your 'home' course and what do you want/hope to do where you ride? and 3.) Cost. The Stumpy will roll over just about everything you'll throw at it. The TREK sounds like adequate but I always appreciate a more local shop. The RM sounds like the happy medium here--Sturdy, enough squish, 1x12, Canadian (for you!). What did you finally decide on?
    Went with the stumpjumper. I needed a shorter crank and could get it for cheap on the two others. Also wanted a dropper with some offset, the Spesh dealer swapped the stock one for free. Very pleased with my choice, it rides great.

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk