trek 8500 vs. kona kula deluxe vs yeti arc...- Mtbr.com
    Off the back...

New question here. trek 8500 vs. kona kula deluxe vs yeti arc...

So the good news is that I've got tacit approval to get a new bike because I "need to get excited about biking again". I suppose I "need to get excited about TV again" if I want that 50" plasma, but I digress...

Opinions please! I'm looking at a few bikes, namely the Trek 8500 [full XT with Fox RL], Kona Kula Deluxe [XT/LX/Hayes with Fox RLT] and a Yeti ARC [full XT with Fox RL]. It's been suggested that I also take a look at Giant and Specialized. My current ride is a 2000 Specialized FSR with the '01 Marz. Z2 coil fork and Avid mech. disc up front. It has served me well, but the rear end is sloppy and it's just not rockin' anymore. I miss the precision of a hardtail, and since I've gone FS it seems I've lost the capacity to pick lines. Regardless, does anyone have experience with the Trek, Kona and Yeti? Compare and contrast please, I look forward to your comments!

Thanks!

Jan 2004
    I can comment on the Trek 8500 since I had one, but cannot compare it with the others you have mentioned. The frame is made out of ZR9000 Alloy which instead of using Chromium as a hardening material, they used Zirconium. Trek claims it makes it 10% lighter and 15% stiffer (or was it the other way around?).

The ride is very stiff. It is a racing hardtail afterall. It is the best hardtail I've owned to date and I've owned an '02 Trek 4500, '99 KHS Alite 4000, and a Soma Groove.

Handling: Lean and the bike follows.
    Ride: Stiff.
    Efficiency: BB area is very stiff and when you pedal, it goes compared to the KHS, which had a lot of bb flex since it was so light. It also has a gussett located on the drive side bb.
    Weight: Stiffest frame with this weight/stiffness ratio of 3.33 lbs

Mine is a medium about 3.25 lbs since it's custom painted matte black. Anyone want to buy?

So, if you are racing or like to ride trails fast then the 8500 might suit you well. If you don't like getting beat up if the trails get a little rough, then look elsewhere.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Regardless, does anyone have experience with the Trek, Kona and Yeti?
    Do not know geometry numbers out of the top of my head for the Trek and Kona, but Yeti probably will have more stretched position among them. I tried last year one, brilliant bike - new ARC is done in Easton's scandium alloy, should be even better. Yeti gets the best tubing. But I would never go to the hardtail anymore.
    But I would guess - ultimatly that should be the fit based decision.