trek 4500 or cannondale f400 - for a beginner?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

trek 4500 or cannondale f400 - for a beginner?

i guess i would still consider myself somewhat of a beginner, but not entirely. i am in shape, was a college baseball player, and work out regularly. ive ridden local trails in austin, east texas, and the womble in arkansas(all on $50 wal-mart POS). im 6'3", 195-200 lbs. with that said, i've found two used bikes in the area- a trek 4500(asking price $300) and a 2004 cannondale F400 (asking price $275). i'm looking to do some basic trail riding, hit up the local trails here in lubbock, and maybe take a trip to the caprock canyons or new mexico every once in awhile. nothing too extreme, maybe some small jumps/drops. which one of these bikes(if either) would do the job? is there one i should prefer over the other? and what about the price, what kind of offer should i make if i was to decide on one? also, if you have any other suggestions for different bikes, please let me know. my price range is fairly low, considering im a college student- id like to get a decent used bike for less that $400

tony

mtbr member
    a new Trek 4500 costs about $400 i'd buy something like that before i bought a used entry level bike. if you do decide to buy one of those used bikes you mentioned make sure they fit you properly, your kinda tall so a large or extra large would probably fit you. an entry level hardtail is a good starter bike, anything made by big name company will be light years better than a wal-mart type bike.

I live to bike
    Either of those two bikes will probably work fine for you, but the Cannondale F400 is a nicer bike than the 4500, component spec should be better, and the price is better. $275 sounds fair enough for a bike that was originally $700-$800, provided that it is still in decent shape. Just make sure the bike is the proper size for you. At 6'3" you'll need something in the 20" - 22" size range (L to XL).

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    the cannondale is a L...about what does this convert to in inches? the owner told me he was 6' 0" ...so thought this might be a bit small for me

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    A Cdale large is approx equiv. to 19" , but you need to ride em around and see how they feel on your specific body..
    CDT
    The F400's are usually an $800-$850 bike IIRC

Members who have read this thread: 0