trek 4500 or 6500- Mtbr.com

Feb 2005

New question here. trek 4500 or 6500

I test rode a few bikes today and have decide on either a Trek 4500 or 6500. My question is the 6500 worth the extra $250 or so. It does have disc brakes, which I hear are a plus. This will be my first bike and I am totally new to the sport. They both rode great but the 6500 just seemed to be built better. I set out with a budget of $800 max, and that would include any thing that i need in words of accerssories,helmet, what not. I seem to be really leaning toward the 6500 but any opinions would be helpful. Thanks
    Casey

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWaker43
    I test rode a few bikes today and have decide on either a Trek 4500 or 6500. My question is the 6500 worth the extra $250 or so. It does have disc brakes, which I hear are a plus. This will be my first bike and I am totally new to the sport. They both rode great but the 6500 just seemed to be built better. I set out with a budget of $800 max, and that would include any thing that i need in words of accerssories,helmet, what not. I seem to be really leaning toward the 6500 but any opinions would be helpful. Thanks
    Casey
    i checked out those two at the lbs today, but i didn't really look that carefully. the 4500 is avail. with disc also, so don't limit yourself if that's the deal-making feature. that was a dumb sentence. i'll stop now.

Feb 2005

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    i checked out those two at the lbs today, but i didn't really look that carefully. the 4500 is avail. with disc also, so don't limit yourself if that's the deal-making feature. that was a dumb sentence. i'll stop now.
    thanks for the response
    is that an Atom and His Package quote?
    yeah the 6500 is about $720 with disc at lbs
    but being new i do not know if i really need this
    i can afford the 6500 and think it would give me more room to grow
    so i am hopeing for opinions on what would be the best for a total newbie
    the 4500 is about $470. are these average price? Thanks a lot
    Casey

Aug 2004
    is that an Atom and His Package quote?
    yeah. Hair: Debatable is probably the funniest album ever. i love that quote.
    but being new i do not know if i really need this
    i don't use discs for the simple reason that i never have trouble locking my wheels, and i don't want the mechanical complexity. it mostly just depends on how big you are and what you think you'll ride. the price on the disc model was about $250 more than a disc-compatible but non-disc model, so if you were to get the non-disc you cold always move up to discs if you thought it necessary...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Waker43
    i can afford the 6500 and think it would give me more room to grow
    so i am hopeing for opinions on what would be the best for a total newbie
    the 4500 is about $470. are these average price?
    i don't know about prices, cause im in canada where everything is different, but if you can afford to go for the 6500 then do it.

Sep 2004

go with the 6500

If you can afford it, go with the 6500. I really like my discs and am about to upgrade my girlfriends V-brakes to discs. Also, the 6500 has better components. If you buy the 6500, you will not be sorry.

Jul 2004
    Go with the 6500 so you won't need to upgrade after one season would be my suggestion.

I bought a 4300, which should be comparable to the 4500, last year as my first bike. I loved the sport, and the bike at first... then I started noticing areas the bike was lacking. First the shifting was terrible, the fork wasn't worthy of much, the headset was crap, and the bike is heavy (35#). It went to some technical trails with an aggressive rider and held up ok. Now, I'm buying a new bike for the upcoming season.

Feb 2005
    Definitely the 6500. The 6500 has much better components. As someone said before, withe the 6500 you do not have to upgrade your bike after one or two seasons.
    My cousin bought a 4500 for two years ago, and he has upgraded his bike a lot, because the components on the 4500 are cheap and do not last long.

SkyAlloy

Jan 2005
    I started out with a 4500 and completely thrashed it for 2 years. It held up fine, except for the rims. If you go with the 4500, you'll have to do adjustments on the derailleur cables pretty often...mostly just tightening them up at the barrel adjusters. If you don't know how to do this, ask your bike shop to show you how before you leave with the bike.

While the 4500 wasn't near as good of a bike as my Stumpjumper, it opened my eyes to the endless possibilities of riding on dirt. She even got me from Houston to Austin for the MS 150 last year. The frame is very strong, and she treated me good. God...I wish I hadn't sold her off.

Feb 2005

thanks

I think I am going to go with the 6500, i found it for $700 today. Just waiting on that tax refund. Also I could use suggestions on a helmet and anything else that is a nessecity. The Giro Xen seems pretty popular. Sorry I am totally new but i am also looking to purchase a car rack in the near future. I drive a 92 Jeep Cherokee with factory roof rack, looking for something on a low budget to haul the bike around.
    Thanks a lot guys.

Casey

Feb 2005
    just take the wheels off and throw it in the back, roof rack is only really needed if you want to take 2 or 3 bikes. you can take the quick release wheels off in less then a minute.

You'll want a helmet, water bottle and cage, spare tube, tire levers, air pump and possibly a bike computer. I might be missing something but I think that should be enough to get you started.

Also the 4500 and 6500 both offer the same room to grow, they are identical frames. Personally I dont think the 6500 is worth the extra money, i'm looking at buying either a 4500 or a Specialized Rockhopper, or hardrock