Trek 3900/4300/Disc or Canondale F8/F9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Trek 3900/4300/Disc or Canondale F8/F9

After taking some advice from another thread, for my first bike I am debating between the following bikes in my LBS based on cost vs what I get. Please give me advice on what is the best bang for the buck (and if the price differences between these are worth the difference in what I get).

I'm 5'9" 175 lbs, 36 years old. I'll be doing some city, tracks, some trails, nothing too crazy though.

Trek
    $409 2009 4300
    $414 2010 3900
    $474 2010 3900 Disc
    $474 2010 4300
    $569 2010 4300 Disc (this one is actually out of my price range unless for the extra $ it really blows the rest out of the water)

Canondale
    $399 2009 F9 (No Disc)
    $424 2010 F9 (No Disc)
    $494 2010 F8 (Disc)

Also, what is the difference between a Trek 3900 and 4300? Is there much difference between the 2009 and 2010 of these models?

I want to have a good idea before I walk I the store. The final decision will be after I see and ride the bikes in person. (I just hate going in with no clue what I want)

EDIT: And just to throw one more option out there... Are there any Specialized bikes in this same price range that would be equivalent?
    Last edited by Brogbac; 05-12-2010 at 05:01 PM.

I4NI
    Frame a bunch of better parts

Wow, not sure where you live but thoes are good prices.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Specialized Hardrock Sport (Disc) would be equivalent.

I'd go for disc brakes in any of the bikes I got.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek
    Frame a bunch of better parts

Wow, not sure where you live but thoes are good prices.

Are you saying the 4300 is a better frame and better parts?

I live in Aurora, CO and these prices are at a place called Treads. So far they have been very cool the few times I was in there. Just helpful with no pressure at all, and I always worry about high pressure places so I was glad.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmosher
    Specialized Hardrock Sport (Disc) would be equivalent.

I'd go for disc brakes in any of the bikes I got.
    Thanks, I will check that out.

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by Brogbac
    Are you saying the 4300 is a better frame and better parts?

I live in Aurora, CO and these prices are at a place called Treads. So far they have been very cool the few times I was in there. Just helpful with no pressure at all, and I always worry about high pressure places so I was glad.

Thanks, I will check that out.

Yes &Yes
    Black alpha verses White alpha frame. Besides the parts, even better wheels and tires too.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    (oops reply to wrong post )

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek
    Yes &Yes
    Black alpha verses White alpha frame. Besides the parts, even better wheels and tires too.
    OK Thanks. So if it comes down to choosing a 4300 no disc or a 3900 Disc, which is better in the end?

As a new rider, I guess this is a "Starter Bike" for me, but I doubt my budget will ever allow me to upgrade to anything more expensive and I won't be doing any real hard riding. I've read some of the Disc vs No Disc threads and I can't determine if it matters to my style.

I like the look of the matte black on the 3900, better than the gloss black & white paint on the 4300. I also think I will like the disc better for the most part but not sure if it really matters for me. I am leaning toward the 3900 disc but will appreciate any other feedback you or anyone else can provide.

I4NI
    I'd go for the 4300 because of the frame and parts but I also like disc! Save up, if I'm not mistaken the 4300 disc is about $110.00 more than the non disc. GOOD LUCK on you Trek

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well,... after all this online research on the Trek 3900/4300, and riding them at two different stores, etc, I ended up buying a 2009 Specialized Rockhopper (basic model) for $450 on clearance (includes lifetime tuneups once a year).

From just riding it, it rode a lot smoother and felt much lighter. Plus the guy at the bike shop said it had better components than the 3900/4300. Was he right/Did I make the right choice?

Thanks for both of your help. Even though I ended up with a different bike, it still helped tremendously because I had a lot more knowledge than when I first started on this journey.

Also, the guy at the store said in my price range the disc brakes would not be that good.
    Last edited by Brogbac; 05-14-2010 at 11:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah, the Rockhopper is pretty nice components-wise and definitely much better than the 3900/4300.

The only problem is that if those hubs/rims are not disc-ready, you don't have an economically feasible way to upgrade to disc brakes in the future without buying new rims and new hubs (quite a bit of money as the rims are usually the 2nd most expensive things on the bike).

Hence why I said I would've got one with disc brakes. The brakes may not be great but... a) when it's wet out (i.e. you go through a puddle or something), they're WAY better than V brakes. and b) you can upgrade them for a lot less money in the future.

All said and done, the Rockhopper is not a bad buy though. And it's a worthwhile frame to invest your money in.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not sure if it IS disc ready... If it is, great. More power to you and all the better. If it's not, there's some food for thought, but it's still a great bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0