mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Trail bike recommendations (yet again...)

OK, so I've sold my previous bike, and am looking to get a new 5" x 5" trailbike. Criteria are: good standover, reasonably stiff, efficient pedaling (SPV in rear), something more along the lines of long travel xc than hucking (I ride very rocky, technical singletrack but don't do any big drops), low maintenance (tend to favor single pivot bikes, but would consider horst link or similar if people have had good experience with them in terms of durability), weight no more than 30 lbs (and preferably closer to 28). Budget is $2300. Candidates are:

- Yeti 575 Enduro. Seems like the best all around bike in this category?
    - Cannondale Prophet 800. Like the single pivot, nice frame design, love the feel of the Lefty, but what is maintenance like on the Lefty? Also, would require a new tray for my rack (+$100)
    - Marin Wolf Ridge. Anyone have experience with this? Seems nice...
    - Ellsworth Distance. Could I get a reasonable build on this within my budget? Where?
    - Fisher Cake. Seems like a lot of people have had drivetrain problems with this bike. Can they be fixed by just swapping the crank?
    - Jamis XLT 2.0. Seems like a lot of cracked chainstays on these...
    - Kona Dawg Dee-Lux
    - Raleigh Phase I (a budget Liquid? Seems like a good spec for the price...)
    - Rocky Mtn. Slayer 50 (not much standover?)
    - Specialized Enduro Comp
    - Weyless XP Pro?

I realize this is a long list; just looking for recommendations before taking the plunge...

Thanks!

I wonder why?

05 Mototlite

You might want to lookk at the new 05 Titus Motolite. It should fit both your weight and price range.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No doubt it's a nice bike, but I don't think I'd be able to get one in my price range... plus, not available 'til early next year.

I wonder why?

It might be worth the wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Puzman
    No doubt it's a nice bike, but I don't think I'd be able to get one in my price range... plus, not available 'til early next year.
    Ya, the wait is a bummer. However, you can get the Motolite with their Disk I set up for aobut $2,300 to $2,400.

Did you sell your Loco Moto, if so how was it built up? What kInd of components are you looking for on the new bike, i.e., what's more important to you the frame or the components?

i1dry?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Check out the Wolf Ridge

I would check out the wolf ridge by marin more seriously. I have an 04 marin mount vision and really love the bike so far. The mount vision is basically the same bike with only 4 inches of travel instead of the 4-6 inch adjustable travel of the wolf ridge. Marin specs their bikes extreamly well for the money. The susension system is excellent and although it is an advanced design the way it is set up keeps the design simplistic and low mantinace. The bearings are under warrenty for 10 years. john whyte did the suspension design, it is almost identical to the whyte 46 which is a $4500 bike that gets excellent reviews in UK.

The 05 marin lineup is speced with the RP3 which I sure makes for an excellent ride. My 04 mount vision is setup with the FOX RL whcih I have to say works just fine too. All in all I think Marin is a very under rated and unknown company in the US but I think there product is as good as anything out there and an excellent value. Definatly worth a look, especially with the travel adjustment you have a bike for almost every type of terrain.

I got a great deal on my Marin from Adrenaline bikes, I would check them out if I went with the marin, I think they have the Marin 04 attack frame (frame up from wolf ridge) for 899 (they use to be on sale for 750) right know and they can get complete bikes too.

Good luck and have fun searching.

Cheers

mtbr member
    The 575 is a really nice bike. A friend of mine has one and I've used it on a few rides. Has a similar feel to my FXR, only lighter. It pedals and climbs very well (his has the 5th shock) and was a good descender. Had that cool feeling that the new breed of bikes have where they feel like a stiff, short travel machine climbing but feel nice and plush on the descents. If you don't have a local dealer talk to the guys at Go Ride. They are great to deal with.

a dad
    Jan 2004

second the 575

great bike, i got one 2 months ago, can't believe how nice it is.....i found a used one on ebay for a reasonable price, basically got the $3k model for $2k...just love it
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    easy....wait for the "Reign" (It's prob. out by now anyways)

Riding a Rig.
    Iron Horse MKIII?
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member

How about...

Ventana El Saltamontes, with a 5" rocker, talas fork? X5 is supposed to be great too.

Demon Cleaner
    Most folks just recommend the bikes they own. That might seem like a bad thing (bias), but I'd like to think it means there are alot of great bikes out there. The one that fits best will be best.

However, to stay in tradition I'd like to say a word in favor of the Big S. The '04 Enduros are still thick on the ground in many shops and you can get an Expert (not the Comp) for under $2300. The 05 prices may shift things around, but the 04 is a better all around trail bike for what you describe as your riding style. Which--by the way--is like mine. And...well...as you guessed it I ride a 04 Enduro Expert. But after a year I still just like the bike more and more each day. Mostly because it fits me right. I've also seen guys launch their Eunduros off of 5 foot drops to flat with no worries. So the bike is built tough enough to abuse more if you ever wanted to.

So, having said that. I'd still seriously consider a Yeti 575 if I was currently in the market for a new bike. Which would I chose? That would depend on fit. For me, the 575 cockpit feels just a bit too short. The Enduro a bit longer. I spent about 7 years on a FS Cannondale that always felt like the toptube was too short. When I shopped around for a replacement I was drawn to a number of bikes, but the Specialized Enduro really felt good. It was hard to describe. I had the funds for a Blur or something more upscale. I knew I'd see a ton of Enduros on the trail (as I do), but the darn bike just felt so good I couldn't pass it up. Don't settle for less.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    agree with Structure, sometimes it comes down to fit and how the bike feels...i have bought a couple of bikes by just test riding them and knowing the fit and feel was perfect so i couldn't pass it up (actually rode many specialized bikes because of the fit), love my 575 though, perfect bike for me
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

carpe diem
    Jan 2004

How about the Titus Quasi-Moto?

With the Switchblade rear you can easily have a 5.9" travel bike under 30 lbs within your price range.

Don't know what size you need, but I have a new one in small size in the classifieds. If you are interested, I can forward the link.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    05' Specialized FSR 120?

- No I don't own one, just sell em' when they hit.

Map Maker
    Specialized Enduro from 02 and up a great horst link 4 bar bike with adjustable geometry and BB height. A poor man's 5 spot.
    and the weyless XP - basically a Santa Cruz Heckler a proven single pivot design for a GREAT price.
    With the money you save you can get a super sweet wheel set lwith Chris King hubs and have a GREAT trail bike.

can't go wrong with either bike
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

cannondale rider
    i think you should get the cannondale prophet. im getting a prophet 600 and test rode one the other week. you should try to test ride one too, i test rode the prophet 600 which is one im getting ( most of the demos are 1000). i noticed very little bob and it didnt have spv. also, the prophet felt very light. the frame design gives alot of standover clearence. it also is a great looking bike. the lefty fork also felt very stiff. it was wierd looking forward and seeing only half a fork, but 10 mins into the ride i forgot about it. it also steers and handles real well. all in all, it was a great bike and you should seriously consider it. heres a link to my review on the cannondale forum http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=59984

Riding a Rig.
    how did you test one?
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

cannondale rider

prophet 600 demo

someone bought one and didnt like it so he returned it to the lbs. it was a medium and i ride a large so it was too small. so cannondale told the lbs that to make it a demo. they let me take it out because i would be getting the 600 and i wanted to try something without spv. the rear shock was fine without spv but i might upgrade the cartridge in the lefty to a spv one

mtbr member

Second the Moto-Lite

Quote Originally Posted by i1dry
    You might want to lookk at the new 05 Titus Motolite. It should fit both your weight and price range.
    Outstanding build quality, 5" travel, gorgeous streamlined looks and the price is the a real killer: $1400 with RP3 abit more with FOX DHX

www.derbyrims.com

Strong second for Wolf Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by joelkamp
    I would check out the wolf ridge by marin more seriously. I have an 04 marin mount vision and really love the bike so far. The mount vision is basically the same bike with only 4 inches of travel instead of the 4-6 inch adjustable travel of the wolf ridge. Marin specs their bikes extreamly well for the money. The susension system is excellent and although it is an advanced design the way it is set up keeps the design simplistic and low mantinace. The bearings are under warrenty for 10 years. john whyte did the suspension design, it is almost identical to the whyte 46 which is a $4500 bike that gets excellent reviews in UK.

The 05 marin lineup is speced with the RP3 which I sure makes for an excellent ride. My 04 mount vision is setup with the FOX RL whcih I have to say works just fine too. All in all I think Marin is a very under rated and unknown company in the US but I think there product is as good as anything out there and an excellent value. Definatly worth a look, especially with the travel adjustment you have a bike for almost every type of terrain.

I got a great deal on my Marin from Adrenaline bikes, I would check them out if I went with the marin, I think they have the Marin 04 attack frame (frame up from wolf ridge) for 899 (they use to be on sale for 750) right know and they can get complete bikes too.

Good luck and have fun searching.

Cheers
    It's the most advanced 6 inch trail bike design available now. No need for the compromising semi-active platform damped shocks. Highly adjustable in handling too.

You will be amaized.

The aother bikes are very good too. But need add-on help from platform damping for good handling and pedaling.

- ray

stay thirsty, my friends
    Get one and dont look back

"With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

mtbr member

Read the whole thread

I can definately say, that the 575 is an incredible bike, both for the ride characteristics, and the value. Its been our hottest seller this year, by far, mostly because of that "disc" kit, which is revamped, better, and called the "enduro" kit. Very impressive spec, frame, fork, hydro discs for a little over $2,000.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I just got done done testing several bikes: 5-Spot
    X-5
    Stumpjumper 120
    Intense 5.5
    There was a few more I can't remember at the moment. I was talked into riding the 575 and now I have one. The bike rides amazing. Mine has the rp3 and is super plush, climbs awesome especially over the rough, descends awesome and no pedal bob. The frame also wound up being the cheapest and very light. I think your best bet is to start test riding, its the only way to get something you will like.

Daren

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks everyone...

Thanks to everyone for their $0.02. I ended up getting a 575. Reasons:

- excellent value
    - light
    - plush
    - lots of standover
    - liked the geometry (some bikes, e.g. Heckler, Prophet seemed to feel very long in the wheelbase in a "Medium" size)
    I got the Enduro kit, with an upgrade to a Crossland wheelset. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

575 is a good choice

I wouldn't think twice about the Yeti 575. My wife got one this spring from Don at www.boutiquebikes.com this spring and she LOVES it. It's both plush and an efficient pedaler. Give them a try. They are very knowledgeable and they treated me fairly on the price.