Trail Bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trail Bike

pronounced may-duh

Trail Bike

I currently ride an older Specialized full suspension called the "ground control" It's a mac strut design with just under 3" travel. I weigh arround 200lbs and ride here in the mountains of western NC on the weekend. An average weekend ride lasts 3-4 hours covers 12-20 miles and 1,000 - 1,500' of climbing. Climbing is a neccessary evil so my bike must make it as easy as posible. Decending is where the fun is so my bike should be good at that too. Also my bike should be very plush and light weight. I never race, I don't huck, do drops or stunts. I'm your basic recreational trail rider.

I would like to spend arround 2,500.00 and I narrowed it two three choices. The Titus Motolite, Specialized FSR expert 120 and the Yeti 575 enduro.

The Specialized is the best deal with great parts like the talus fork and avid hydralic brakes. I also like the FSR design in that it is fully active when braking down hill. Too me braking down hill is when I need the suspension the most. I have heard reumors that the FSR is a pig on the climbs

The Yeti has more travel and that could be good. The Yeti also has nice parts like a vanilla fork and hayes hydralic brakes. The parts are clearly not as good as the FSR's and is the suspension fully active when braking down hill?

The Titus has the worst parts build with a cheap fork and cable disc brakes. The suspension design looks cool with 5" of fully active travel. Also the titus frame is super light weight. I suppose I could spend more money to upgrade parts to the level of the specialized but is it worth it?

What should I get? Does the FSR climb well and is 120mm enough plush to keep me from ddreaming of a longer travel bike? Is the Yeti fully active when braking down hill? Is the Titus worth the extra money?

pronounced may-duh
    bump bump

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    I currently ride an older Specialized full suspension called the "ground control" It's a mac strut design with just under 3" travel. I weigh arround 200lbs and ride here in the mountains of western NC on the weekend. An average weekend ride lasts 3-4 hours covers 12-20 miles and 1,000 - 1,500' of climbing. Climbing is a neccessary evil so my bike must make it as easy as posible. Decending is where the fun is so my bike should be good at that too. Also my bike should be very plush and light weight. I never race, I don't huck, do drops or stunts. I'm your basic recreational trail rider.

I would like to spend arround 2,500.00 and I narrowed it two three choices. The Titus Motolite, Specialized FSR expert 120 and the Yeti 575 enduro.

The Specialized is the best deal with great parts like the talus fork and avid hydralic brakes. I also like the FSR design in that it is fully active when braking down hill. Too me braking down hill is when I need the suspension the most. I have heard reumors that the FSR is a pig on the climbs

The Yeti has more travel and that could be good. The Yeti also has nice parts like a vanilla fork and hayes hydralic brakes. The parts are clearly not as good as the FSR's and is the suspension fully active when braking down hill?

The Titus has the worst parts build with a cheap fork and cable disc brakes. The suspension design looks cool with 5" of fully active travel. Also the titus frame is super light weight. I suppose I could spend more money to upgrade parts to the level of the specialized but is it worth it?

What should I get? Does the FSR climb well and is 120mm enough plush to keep me from ddreaming of a longer travel bike? Is the Yeti fully active when braking down hill? Is the Titus worth the extra money?
    The FRS is more squishy pedaling than the other two but brakes with a little more rear traction than the other two.

The Yeti has more travel than the other two and climbs as well or better in loose and bumpy terrain, and braking compares most closely with the FSR due to the greater travel and softer spring with deeper sag and better bump compliance.

The Moto-Lite is between the two. It pedals more efficiently with snappier acceleration than the FSR in particular and somewhat better than the Yeti particularly when standing and pedaling. The braking is not quite as active as the FSR or as Yeti's longer travel advantage. There is a small size tire limitation, about 2.2 on the Moto-lite. The 575 can fit all 2.4 tires and some 2.5's (not sure about the 120 FSR).

The steering of the Yeti is most slack and more speed and rough and steep downhill technical trail use oriented, the Moto-Lite and 120 have a little steeper, quicker steering, a little better for tight singletrack, and also good for all around difficult terrain.

I'd get the Moto-lite for the slightly more efficient climbing of the three you list. Or the Yeti for more extreme trail use that still works great in more calm and slower areas, it is very well balanced and light for it's travel. I'm not as of a big Specialized FSR fan compared to the other two; it requires firmer platform damping for similar handling control of the others.

- ray