Torn between Trek Superfly AL and last year's Stumpjumper Comp 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Torn between Trek Superfly AL and last year's Stumpjumper Comp 29

After riding a number of bikes, I've found a couple that seem to fit nicely. I'm looking at a 29er hardtail for technical train riding with lots of hills. Looking for a bike that I won't need/want to upgrade anything.

I took the 2012 Trek Superfly AL out for a spin, and really liked it.

However, I also found a deal on last years 2011 Stumpjumper Comp 29er, new but has a Reba RL installed instead of the stock RLT model.

I'm having trouble comparing between the 2 bikes (with different forks and Shimano vs. SRAM components) in terms of value/quality. Seems like the Stumpjumper might be lighter though.

Given that both bikes feel pretty good, does anyone know of a strong reason why I would go for one versus the other???

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a 19 inch 2011 Stumpjumper Comp 29 M5 tubing with the RLT. Mine weighed 25.1 out of the box. Got it for $1600 this January. I replaced the cross country racing S-Werks with WTB Bronson 2.2s for more cornering confidence and durability. I'm 6'1" 180.

It is a comfortable cross country bike. The 19 inch frame seems appropriate for XC. However, I find it less than ideal for technical trails. It's not as nimble as my wife's 26 inch 18.5 Trek Fuel 8.1 or my 26 inch, 19 inch Schwinn Rocket 88 full suspension bike.

I tested the 2011 Trek Superfly AL and thought it was a little on the heavy side.

My wife picked up an 18 inch 2011 Rockhopper Expert 29er HT, M4SL tubing for $750 (MSRP $1250) last week. It's heavier than the Stumpjumper but it climbs well and handles better on tight trails. If you could find a deal on a lighter (lighter fork) Rockhopper Pro 29er you might give it a try.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Barrett View Post
    My wife picked up an 18 inch 2011 Rockhopper Expert 29er HT, M4SL tubing for $750 (MSRP $1250) last week. It's heavier than the Stumpjumper but it climbs well and handles better on tight trails. If you could find a deal on a lighter (lighter fork) Rockhopper Pro 29er you might give it a try.
    I've been looking for a 29er and the Stumpjumper, Rockhopper and Trek X-Caliber are my short list. Not too much technical riding in my area. How would rate the Rockhopper overall? To the OP, did you try an X-Caliber? It's a lot of bike for the money.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Stumpjumper all the way !!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I pulled the trigger on the Stumpjumper. Actually felt a little more stable under me than the Superfly. The Reba felt nicer than the Fox float and the specs were quite a bit better. Also, couldn't pass up the deal I got on it.

I'm a little worried about how it will perform on really technical trails compared to my old 26er, but given the terrain in Southern Ontario, I think overall I'll be happier on a 29er.

I'll put her to the test on Saturday morning and will post a follow-up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Well, I pulled the trigger on the Stumpjumper. Actually felt a little more stable under me than the Superfly. The Reba felt nicer than the Fox float and the specs were quite a bit better. Also, couldn't pass up the deal I got on it.

I'm a little worried about how it will perform on really technical trails compared to my old 26er, but given the terrain in Southern Ontario, I think overall I'll be happier on a 29er.

I'll put her to the test on Saturday morning and will post a follow-up.
    Well done. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I've been looking for a 29er and the Stumpjumper, Rockhopper and Trek X-Caliber are my short list. Not too much technical riding in my area. How would rate the Rockhopper overall? To the OP, did you try an X-Caliber? It's a lot of bike for the money.
    The Rockhopper is good. I like the geometry and comfort of the 29er. The component level on the 2011 Expert makes it a little heavier than the Pro but what the heck....for $750 (500 below msrp)....a nice bike for us. We do a lot of travel on dirt roads in the Southwest..... didn't want to throw our more expensive bikes on the back of our Sprinter.

Members who have read this thread: 0