Torn between 3 bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Torn between 3 bikes

Hi guys, first post. I've been lurking for a while on this forum and been reading different discussions about which bike to buy but there are tons of recommendations. I finally picked out the three bikes that I like and fit my budget. Please hHelp me decide on which bike to buy. At this point I don't really care if its a FS or HT. I probably would use the FS occasionally and thats the only reason I would want to get them. I'm a roadie and been riding for years. I can fix my own bike so LBS support doesn't matter much to me.

2007 Iron Horse Azure Sport - $899
    2008 Rockhopper Comp Disc - $830 + tax
    2008 Motobecane Fantom Comp - $795
    Last edited by motospeedster; 03-28-2008 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If I were you I will get IH

It looks IH has better components than rockhopper except the fork and there is not much price difference between two bikes. you might have advantage on LBS support with rockhopper though.
    even if motobecane has better fork, lighter and XT rear derailleur, I like IH DW-Link frame and it's FS.
    Last edited by kimguroo; 03-28-2008 at 01:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That looks like a really good deal on the IH.
    You need to think a little more about whether you want a HT or FS though. As a roadie, you may prefer a HT.

Purely in looking at the best deal though, that Iron Horse looks pretty sweet. It is built as a light weight FS (though I wouldn't trust the weight listed) so don't plan on abusing it too much.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thanks guys. I just got back from performance today (just across the street from where i work) and test ride the 2007 azure sport. I was looking for 15" (im only 5'6") but they have a 17" which is ok for me. My first impression was it's heavy. But the ride was pretty good. The mechanical brakes are actually more than enough. They want $1,499 for the bike though. There's also a 2006 MKIII, 15" for $899. I don't know if I should get that instead if I will ever get a FS bike. How about the Fantom Comp vs Rockhopper?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Is this a first bike or have you been riding awhile?

If this is a first bike I'd reccomend a used bike since you can get some great deals on a bike thats barely been broken in. A lot of people will buy bikes for $800-1000 and then not really get into riding much. After a few years of sitting they finally decide to sell it, but by then it's depreciated quite a bit. I got a 7 year old Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo with a few upgrades for only $200. The bike has a few scratches, but it's in great shape.

Also, you should definitely decide whether FS is really necessary for you. I love how they look and I'm sure they are amazing off road, but if you ride mostly on the street I think it will be a waste of money and will slow you down a little.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by motospeedster
    There's also a 2006 MKIII, 15" for $899. I don't know if I should get that instead if I will ever get a FS bike.
    Man, you're all over the place now. That's another real nice deal, but a completely different type of bike than the others you mentioned.

As to the weight of the azure, you just need to deal with the fact that mtn bikes weigh more than road bikes. That's actually a pretty light FS.

Either the Fantom or the Rockhopper look to be pretty nice. The Fantom looks to be spec'd a little better but I'm confused a little by the 85-130mm adjustable fork on what otherwise looks to be an entry-level XC race bike.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Since you are 5-6", there are many options for FS.
    k2 bike might be a good deal.
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....19&category=55
    it has decent components and about 28.6 lbs according to RS.

k2 lithium might be a good ($799). I had it and really liked the bike except the weight.
    I am also 5-6" and the bike was around 33 lbs.

Dirt Deviant
    The Azure is a pretty sweet bike. i wouldn't take it off 6 foot drops, but it should be able to handle alot. And they are being blownout all over the internet. Make your decision fast because those 2007 closeouts won't last very long.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ok, i'm now down to 2 bikes, the Azure and Fantom Comp. I know they are different types of bikes. what keeps me going back to Fantom Comp is the components on the bike. tora 302 (w/ lockout) vs marzocchi super comp, lx/xt vs x7, mechanical vs hydraulic brakes, 25 lbs vs 30 lbs? i'm starting to like the look of the azure but for some reason, the parts on the fantom, the weight and the price is telling me to get it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    get the fantom

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'd go for the Fantom...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I still like IH.
    first of all, you already tried IH at LBS and you can always upgrade components later.

I had a k2 lithium 3.0 which had a tora 302 fork and x-7 shifter and derailleur.
    actually, I like sram drivetrain than shimano and I did not have any problem with x-7 system.
    it worked very smoothly. Fantom only has advantage on XT rear derailleur.

the tora fork was a good fork but it's heavy (about 5.3 lbs).
    if you concern about weights, you will upgrade the fork in the future.

IH DW-link frame has a good reputation.

I don't see huge components advantage between fantom and IH.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ok, lets say i'm already sold with IH Azure. How does it perform on paved roads? I want to bring it to work so I can ride it at lunch for about 10 miles a day.

Freshly Fujified

It should be fine, but...

ok, lets say i'm already sold with IH Azure. How does it perform on paved roads? I want to bring it to work so I can ride it at lunch for about 10 miles a day.
    It's a mountain bike, and is better suited for off road. Just don't expect it to perform ideally, as the tires will be somewhat knobby, and you will get some pedal bob (not a lot, as the dw link has a great reputation). If you set your expectations accordingly, the bike will be just fine.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    It's a mountain bike, and is better suited for off road. Just don't expect it to perform ideally, as the tires will be somewhat knobby, and you will get some pedal bob (not a lot, as the dw link has a great reputation). If you set your expectations accordingly, the bike will be just fine.

Bob
    So I guess if this is the case, a HT is well suited for my needs. Something I can use on the road on weekdays and light trail on the weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sounds like you would have more fun on the hardtail, I would go with the Moto- better specs, lighter. And from the looks of your name you have no trouble with the brand name- (some people are very brand concious). I have a Moto road and a Santa Cruz Mtn and love both bikes despite what the stickers say.

Freshly Fujified

Not at all

So I guess if this is the case, a HT is well suited for my needs. Something I can use on the road on weekdays and light trail on the weekend.
    I happen to feel that the benefits of the full suspension on the trails outweighs the negatives on the road, but that's just me. All I was trying to point out is that a mountain bike is not the ideal bike to ride on the road, and that's it. Simply put, you can ride any mountain bike on a road. hardtail, full suspension, light XC race bike, heavy DH bike. As for wether or not a hardtail or full suspension is better for your personal needs is really a matter of too many issues that only you can address. Age, physical condition, the trails you'll be riding on the weekend, etc., all play a factor in which bike is the overall better bike.

I hope I haven't clouded the waters any more than my first post.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Members who have read this thread: 0