Tiny female looking to get another hard tail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tiny female looking to get another hard tail

Hi..

Sorry if this question has been asked over and over and over again...

But I've been out of the loop for quite some time

Mid last summer I had my xc bike stolen right out of my garage.

It sucks

I need a new one for this summer but can only really spend $1000 for now, but of course will upgrade as I go through life.

What is a good bike to get for that price area for a short person like myself.. I'm 5'2?

I live in Toronto, Ontario so would ideally like to get something in the area.. cut down on shipping costs.

Also... where can I get Hope levers inexpensively? The cap on mine is fused shut so I can't open it up to flush out the air.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Amy

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Check out Specialized and Trek. Both make mountain bikes for women that have shorter cranks, narrower bars, shorter reach brakes, and suspension designed for a lighter rider.

Note that the Women's version of the bikes are different than a mens extra small.

USB Rep'n
    for full on xc, the Trek is a good choice I suppose. My wife picked up a womens specific 6500 a few years ago for about $500 (new) with mostly LX stuff on it. Frankly, it doesn't seem much different than a non WSD to me but who knows. Anyway, you might even look at something like a SC Chameleon in a small. Those frames run tiny (imo) and would fit a 5'2" person great with plenty of clearance. Pretty versatile all around bike too. If you were willing to buy some parts used, you could build it for under a grand if you had to and have a great frame for upgrades as you needed/wanted. Kona might also be a good call or even a Gary (Trek) Fisher since they use the sloping top tube geometry. Hope this helps a bit.

As for the lever, remove the bolts and try a small flat blade to pry it open.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

womens geometry

i did a lot of looking for a bike for my sis who is *almost* 5'2" and since i am a broke college student building her a bike i chose an old schwinn moab chromoly frame and built it up from there. but anyways, the real thing is womens geometry tends to lean towards narrower handlebars, shorter top tubes and shorter cranks. effectivley this brings the cockpit in quite a bit. Also make sure you get adjustable brake levers for smaller hands and ive heard womens specific seats make a big difference.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    could set ya up ona clearout Jamis hardtail easy enough.