mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Time for a serious bike.

Located in south west Florida home of old folks and speedy road bikes, not so much mountain. Iíve been looking for used but no luck unless I want a road bike. Iíve been riding dads old bike for years and it does ok. Went to Walmart for a new bike and man are they horrible. Front forks bind like a 100 year old barn door, brake modulation feels like pressing a sponge, stopping distances of a freight train. Wow these bikes have gotten a lot worse then 15 years ago.

I want a full suspension bike that is a good set up that will be upgraded over time. Frame Iím ok with a little heavier aluminum like 33lbs. No I donít want a hard tail plain and simple. Iím 5í11 230. Got a budget 1,000$ set aside. I donít trail hard and fast like a pro, more sports and fun riding. In 3 years Iím moving up to Tennessee once we are done with our Rn degree. My local bike shop has a GT verb elite for 999.00$ would this bike be a great start and worth upgrading down the road? Or is it a obsolete bike that uses proprietary stuff that wonít be worth the investment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time for a serious bike.-6a9e07df-39d1-484f-87be-b06332b3bf98.jpg  

Wanna ride bikes?
    A quick google search turns up the expected flaws of a full suspension bike at this price point. Cheap components mostly. https://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gea...b-elite-50389/

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...rb-expert-2018

Sorry but it has to be said, at this price point you'd be better off with a hardtail. Preferably a used one with good components. At your size sturdy fork would be a big benefit. This bike also has QR wheels f/r, not awesome.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Coffee Drinker
    That might be 'okay' at Alva.. sorta.. Look around, just a quick search found this, if you can ride a medium. https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...755414433.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Unfortunately even at my slimmest most fit 185lbs large is the frame size for me. Even at 1k a ďjunkĒ bike will be more then my skill level can take advantage of anyhow. I donít need fancy high end components just a good quality starter that wonít snap on the first run like a wally world bike will. I will wear components and upgrade as I go so a lower grade entry is ok since within 3 years it will all be swapped. I just need to get a platform I can build up. Iím open to other brands and suggestions but not many great local bike shops down here. I would love a trex fuel ex 8 but price is too high.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicywolf View Post
    Unfortunately even at my slimmest most fit 185lbs large is the frame size for me. Even at 1k a ďjunkĒ bike will be more then my skill level can take advantage of anyhow. I donít need fancy high end components just a good quality starter that wonít snap on the first run like a wally world bike will. I will wear components and upgrade as I go so a lower grade entry is ok since within 3 years it will all be swapped. I just need to get a platform I can build up. Iím open to other brands and suggestions but not many great local bike shops down here. I would love a trex fuel ex 8 but price is too high.
    I get your budget restrictions, but you probably ought to reset your expectations some. In buying a budget full suspension like this, you're not really getting a platform that's upgradeable on any sort of a reasonable budget. This bike is fairly equivalent to what you'd get on a $500-ish hardtail. It's just squishier. "Squishier" is not worth $1,000 to me. It's not an upgrade. You really would be better off on a hardtail at the same price.

I am personally not a fan of this iteration of GT's i-drive rear suspension, either, even on more expensive bikes. It's a rather complicated collection of pivots and linkages that's fairly complicated to maintain (I am speaking of maintaining the suspension pivots, particularly). It's got plenty of nooks and crannies for dirt and debris to collect, and cleaning it out is going to be a pain in the ass. That front derailleur is a hot mess on that bike, for example. It's going to collect ALL the crap that comes off your tires, and shifting will go to shit in short order unless you keep it cleaned and lubricated.

Even with budget full suspension bikes, you can do better. Diamondback is doing a lot better than many companies at producing decent bikes on a budget. Especially if you can get your hands on their "corporate discount" but even if not, they seem to be on sale just about everywhere. Got my wife a Diamondback gravel bike on Amazon with a pretty heavy discount a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I get your budget restrictions, but you probably ought to reset your expectations some. In buying a budget full suspension like this, you're not really getting a platform that's upgradeable on any sort of a reasonable budget. This bike is fairly equivalent to what you'd get on a $500-ish hardtail. It's just squishier. "Squishier" is not worth $1,000 to me. It's not an upgrade. You really would be better off on a hardtail at the same price.

I am personally not a fan of this iteration of GT's i-drive rear suspension, either, even on more expensive bikes. It's a rather complicated collection of pivots and linkages that's fairly complicated to maintain (I am speaking of maintaining the suspension pivots, particularly). It's got plenty of nooks and crannies for dirt and debris to collect, and cleaning it out is going to be a pain in the ass. That front derailleur is a hot mess on that bike, for example. It's going to collect ALL the crap that comes off your tires, and shifting will go to shit in short order unless you keep it cleaned and lubricated.

Even with budget full suspension bikes, you can do better. Diamondback is doing a lot better than many companies at producing decent bikes on a budget. Especially if you can get your hands on their "corporate discount" but even if not, they seem to be on sale just about everywhere. Got my wife a Diamondback gravel bike on Amazon with a pretty heavy discount a few years ago.
    Now this is good info. Iím very mechanically inclined so cleaning and maintenance is not an issue. How ever I donít do it for fun haha. If the design is inherently over complicated and liable for excessive wear and tear Iíll avoid it. So diamond back offers a 1k full suspension bike that will take upgrading well? What from their line up do you recommend. My way of thinking is ďa hard tail can never be a full suspension bike. How ever a cheap full suspension cheap bike can be upgraded to proper spec.Ē If I saved up for a budget of 2k would this buy a high quality bike?

mtbr member
    The cheapest FS bikes I would recommend are the Diamondback Atroz 3 at $1400 (no dropper post) and the Giant Stance 2, at $1500. The Stance is pretty fair, I have one and it was fine on easy single track trails up to some serious intermediate trails, I still use it on easy trails. You might be able to find a left over 2018 for less. Beyond that, a lower level Giant Trance 3 at $2000 is a nice bike for the money, and there are several decent brand FS bikes right around $2000.

Atroz and Stance not a lot of room for suspension upgrades, Trance can be upgraded to serious quality parts.

since 4/10/2009
    Now this is good info. Iím very mechanically inclined so cleaning and maintenance is not an issue. How ever I donít do it for fun haha. If the design is inherently over complicated and liable for excessive wear and tear Iíll avoid it. So diamond back offers a 1k full suspension bike that will take upgrading well? What from their line up do you recommend. My way of thinking is ďa hard tail can never be a full suspension bike. How ever a cheap full suspension cheap bike can be upgraded to proper spec.Ē If I saved up for a budget of 2k would this buy a high quality bike?
    First off, look at Diamondback's website to see what they offer. It'll have full prices listed, of course, but most people don't pay that. Search up on how to get access to Diamondback's corporate discount program. There are threads about it on mtbr, and probably elsewhere across the web. Compare pricing. Also look at sale pricing on other websites that sell Diamondbacks. Amazon and elsewhere.

And yeah, if you're able to save a bit more and increase your budget to $2k for a full suspension bike, you ought to be able to find a lot more options, and many more respectable ones. At around $2k, you're adding some stuff from the traditional brands, as well as from newer (at least in the US) companies like YT, Commencal, Canyon, etc. You still aren't getting "fancy, high-end components" but you're at least getting reliable, serviceable ones. The components on these bikes will probably be similar to what you'd find on a $1000-ish hardtail from the same manufacturers. It seems to be the case that adding rear suspension to a bike is going to add several hundred dollars to the cost of the bike (not counting various discounts you might be able to find). Also, the $2k mark puts you into nice territory for used bikes. My wife's first full suspension was used that we got (including shipping) for $1800. Super nice bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    So more or less the trance is the best platform to get into then. Seems Iím better off saving 2,000 and going from there. Stinks I wonít be able to really get into the trails till then.

since 4/10/2009
    So more or less the trance is the best platform to get into then.
    I wouldn't say that. It's a good option, and the rear suspension system on it is a bit nicer than the Stance. But there are other excellent options, too.

It's hard to find a truly terrible bike. It's all a matter of degrees, and invariably, what two different people prefer is going to be a little different. Options are good.

Take me for example. I'm currently building a fairly high end all-mountain hardtail. What I want is a good bit more than my budget can take. So, I'm saving up my money and buying things as I save up the money for them, and as they come available, finding deals where I can. Right now, I have a frame, fork, and a headset. I started saving in about April of last year. It's going to take me a good bit longer to finish the build. Granted, I still do have another bike I can continue to ride, but I've also been riding mtbs for about 20yrs. I did a similar thing with the bike I'm riding now. Took me several months to save the money to buy it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have been looking at sub $2000 bikes a lot lately.

I'd look at rei's deal on the diamondback release as well as the Marin hawk hill, and norco fluid fs. There are specs of each of those, than can be had for $1450-1650 or so, and they are all very upgradable, with modern standards like tapered headsets, boost spacing, etc.
    Last edited by ocnLogan; 11-28-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Coffee Drinker