Ti hardtail or softtail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Ti hardtail or softtail?

I'm in the market for a Ti bike (old hardtail was stolen) and since I am starting from scratch I'm curious if anyone thinks a softtail is worth getting over a hardtail.

I've ridden a hardbutt for many years and it suits my style and the places I ride (road with a set of road wheels and XC) so my first thought was to simply get another hardtail used and tweak it to my liking or build one up myself. However I'm now thinking a softtail with lockout capability might be a nice change, especially on those few occasions I do encounter rock gardens or washboard downhills. Something like a Moots YBB or Dean Duke.

Is there really a good argument to get a softtail Ti bike over a hardtail? There seem to be so few softtail models around that it's like they never really found a reason for being.
    Last edited by EssEff; 04-19-2010 at 09:30 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    try an aluminum softail before you invest?

i'd imagine whatever frame you chose would be the same build. ti frame should be for life. make sure you pick the right one.

T.W.O.
    I've got both and my suggestion is go ride a Full suspension first, if you haven't tried already. Ti frame can cost you pretty pennies. It worth considering all options. I have a Racer-X with 700c disc wheel and it was awesome.

Moots Why be beat is a great bike, if I have to do it again I'd op to go with the 29er option may be. It's just a comfortable hardtail. Occasionally, when you have bad stroke you butt would keep bouncing on the saddle, something you just have to learn to adjust. I have many bike but if I can keep only one for sure it would not be a HT or ST.

The reason why it ST didn't take off, well FS happen.

If you have to have a Ti, I'd call Seven Cycles. They took the Soft tail and Full suspension of the line but they are building a new ones pretty good design as well. I'm waiting for that. The travel would be rider's specific both in amount and activity. I own 3 Seven, none has failed to amazed me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a steel softail and its pretty fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd stick with a hardtail and if you feel you need to soften up the ride a bit get a good suspension seatpost like a short travel Thudbuster.

Linoleum Knife
    I would get the hardtail, or the Moots if you really think you need a soft tail.

Dean's customer service is a joke, and god forbid that anything ever happens to that rear shock.

Members who have read this thread: 0