mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?

I found this at a local thrift store yesterday - I can't understand why it has the arm rest & pedal clips?
    The suspension, brakes & shifting (Deore LX group) all work great.
    I rode it around the neighborhood & it is definitely geared as a mountain bike; in the first few gears you pedal like crazy & but you go very slow - definitely for use climbing a hill/mountain!
    Was this set up like this for ironman races? I can't imagine hooking your feet in those pedals & then sun up or down a mountain - how could you use your feet for stability or to stop a fall?
    I want to remove the arm rest bar but wanted to check here first in case it is set up for a specific reason.
    Thank you
    Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-1aa.jpg
    Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-2aa.jpg
    Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-3aa.jpg
    Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-6aa.jpg
    Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-7aa.jpg

Cycologist
    Just take the aero bars off, someone was using it on the road, maybe racing but that would be a lousy race bike. Those bars look really old, too.

Hard to see but looks like they are just basic clipless pedals (which your shoes lock into). They are commonly used for mountain bikes, a quick slight twist of the foot and they release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    That bike is in great shape for a thrift store find. Good find! It'll be a fine entry level mtb. Give it a good tune up, check it out good, take those aero bars add-ons off and ride it like ya stole it.

My first "good" mountain bike was a 2000 Trek 8000 SLR, the 6000 was just a notch or two below that.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Bikesexual
    Nice find! Looks super clean and you can do time trials on it.

Amazing what can be done to a bike.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    OK Bar is off & it looks like a mtn bike again! But the handle bars look like they have a downward angle to me - is that OK?

Also, should I replace pedals before selling or is it ok to leave as is?

With just a wipe down with a damp towel - it looks like a new bike!

Thanks for your help!

Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-made-usa-1aa.jpg

Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-made-usa-2a_aa.jpg

Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-made-usa-2aa.jpg

Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-made-usa-2baa.jpg

Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-made-usa-3baa.jpg

Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-made-usa-3daaa.jpg

Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-made-usa-4aa.jpg

Thrift store find - 2000 trek 6000 set up as road/race bike?-aa-bicycle-trek-6000-made-usa-4baa.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice bike.

Did the guy drill holes in the bars to fit the airo-bars? If so, replace the bars.

A lot of people ride clipless on mountain bikes. If you're not doing a lot of technical climbing and jumping it can be better. It's certainly much more efficient.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by miamibeachcg View Post
    OK Bar is off & it looks like a mtn bike again! But the handle bars look like they have a downward angle to me - is that OK?
    I would flip the stem so it angles upward. The previous owner probably angled it down to get the aero bars in a better road riding position.

Nice find though....looks great. Although, is that a dent in the chainstay in the second to last picture?

Cycologist
    Sell it? Nooooooo, we thought you were going to ride it.

Yeah, with the aerobar on we didn't notice that the stem was flipped (the slanted down part that the handlebar connects to).

Someone who buys that probably will not want clips-less pedals. You'll have to decide if you want to invest in new pedals or let them do so, you can usually do a short test ride with your feet on top of the clippless pedals but they may not be mechanically inclinded. Or maybe you can find some cheap used ones. The non-drive side one is reverse threaded btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.