In Transit
    Nov 2009

Thoughts on trail bikes from these brands?

Iím casually in the market for a new trail bike but not really up to speed on the theoretical benefits of different suspension designs (Iíve ridden hardtails forever) and company reputations. I acknowledge that implementation ultimately matters a lot more than theory and that nothing can replace actually demoing said bikes. Furthermore, Iím still undecided on 27.5 vs 29. With all of those caveats out of the way, what are the general pluses/minuses (proven or perceived) for equivalent spec trail bikes from these companies, in your opinion?

* Ibis
    * Santa Cruz
    * Transition
    * Yeti

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    All make good, high end bikes. Hard to go wrong really.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you're buying new and intend to keep for a long time, Santa Cruz warranty is renowned.

Yeti, SC, and Ibis I consider to be dream-bike quality in my own world.

Transition doesn't make my list, but that's most likely an issue with my own perception and not the brand.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Anytime. Anywhere.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/sb130-sb...s-1089983.html

I personally would go with either a Ripmo, Smuggler, or Sentinel, as the have the geometry I favour. Maybe the Hightower Long Travel replacement will be on that list.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    All make great bikes and all ride differently from one another. I test rode bikes from Ibis, Yeti, Santa Cruz and others before buying one from Santa Cruz. The differences in ride quality were significant for me and while some felt great others that I expected to suit me really didn't. I would strongly recommend demoing these bikes before deciding.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    wayold, what were you thoughts on the general differences between the bikes/brands? Why did you go with SC besides great color ways?

I wouldnít be buying until after Sea Otter so no sense demoing now instead of waiting for the new stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    wayold, what were you thoughts on the general differences between the bikes/brands? Why did you go with SC besides great color ways?
    I was looking for a trail bike that would climb efficiently, so I demoed a bunch of short travel 29ers - Yeti 4.5c, Ibis Ripley and SC Tallboy. They all had well designed suspensions that climbed well with the shock unlocked, with the DW link on the Ibis doing best, followed by the Yeti and SC which felt similar to each other uphill to me. Downhill, however, the Ibis felt noticeably harsher than the others. I thought the Yeti had the best balance of riding characteristics uphill and downhill, with the SC a close second. If price had been no object I would have gotten the Yeti, but I was able to find a much better deal on the Santa Cruz, I had liked it almost as much, and so went that way. Santa Cruz's lifetime frame warranty was another selling point for me.

Prior to riding these bikes I had expected to favor a DW link bike like an Ibis or Pivot, but from my rides on them I just liked the feel of the Yeti and SC suspensions better. That doesn't mean DW link bikes are any worse. You should definitely try them and may find you love them. I'm just relating my own demo experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I would go into some of the manufacturer's forums and get a feel for how happy people are with customer service support with each of the companies you are looking at. I don't know much about Transition, but I would put Santa Cruz and Ibis on a higher tier than Yeti. For the price that bikes are going for nowadays, companies need to stand behind their products and make getting your bike back on the trail as easy as possible.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/sb130-sb...s-1089983.html

I personally would go with either a Ripmo, Smuggler, or Sentinel, as the have the geometry I favour. Maybe the Hightower Long Travel replacement will be on that list.
    That Yeti thread is incredibly horrifying.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    That Yeti thread is incredibly horrifying.
    It was enough to make me look elsewhere...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Do you have a LBS that you deal with??
    I have dealt with the same LBS for 20 years. They look after me, the warranty claims I've had get dealt with promptly. The owner always offers to loan me a bike. I have been introduced to most of their Dealer reps.
    That is why I buy from them and the 4 brands that they carry.
    I buy stuff online, who doesn't, but a big purchase I want to buy from a trusted face.
    Does that help narrow it down?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    I have dealt with the same LBS for 20 years. They look after me, the warranty claims I've had get dealt with promptly. The owner always offers to loan me a bike. I have been introduced to most of their Dealer reps.
    I buy stuff online, who doesn't, but a big purchase I want to buy from a trusted face.
    100% agree. Sometimes I get tempted to drift to a brand elsewhere but I have never done so. 20+ years for me as well. I have never had a warranty issue ever, because my LBS would never leave me high and dry. I could go on and on why it makes sense to build a relationship with an LBS, and I have done so in other threads, only to get shit all over. But yes - agreed 100%.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    My shop closed down a few years back but Iím building up a relationship with a new shop now and my list was curtailed to mostly the brands they carry in which Iím interested. I was more looking for technical-ish generalizations at this point though. For instance, I know the most about Ibis at this point, mostly from research for resurrecting my long neglected Mojo SL, and I would characterize their bikes as jacks of all trades (climb, pedal, descend), master of none with conservative geometries but high quality design and construction offered in a wide variety of build levels (but few colors) and produced by a company with some of the best costumer service in the industry but who arenít in a hurry to release new/updated models.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iíd go with an Ibis Ripmo if you need long travel or wait for the updated Ibis Ripley if you donít need a bike right away.