mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Thoughts on the Canyon Strive range

So for a while I have been looking at getting a dual suspension bike. One day a mate of mine suggested to check out Canyon bikes. When looking through their range, I found the Strive, which has the shapeshifting technology, which really intrigued me, as it was exactly what I was looking for in a bike. The one thing that really concerned me was the fact that they were an online company only, so they don't have any authorized dealers, so I can't go to a shop and sit on the bike and see how it feels, and most importantly, I can't take it to a shop to get fixed, and I am not very experienced with fixing bikes, as I have never really had to in the past, and I don't really think it is a great bike to learn how to fix things on.

So what are your guys thoughts on the bike. Does anyone own one, or owned one in the past. And do you have any alternate suggestions to this bike?

mtbr member
    Never had a Canyon but I have a friend who is interested in Strive and Spectral. He asked for my thoughts so I did some research and read up on the two models. I've had a lot of bikes over the years and one thing I learned is a bike with an unusual feature that adds complexity can be bad. The 'shapeshifting' thing would scare me. It's something that increases the chance of problems PLUS it's a very unique design specific to this mfg/model bike. The Spectral has a simpler suspension design and a rear shock with a 'climb' mode.

The Strive and Spectral both look like awesome bikes. The shapeshifting gizmo on the Strive is an interesting idea and it probably works great but you have to ask yourself WHAT IF IT FAILS? The answer is, you will likely be without a bike for a long time trying to get it addressed. For that reason I told my buddy that I would go with the Spectral.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    A problem I have found with some online reviews are that they come from factory riders, which the bike is top of the line, race spec and all perfect for them, and they only ride it once, and won't say anything bad about it. And then from some people who review it for one ride, and not after say 6 months of riding it.

mtbr member
    I found these awhile back and they seem realistic. They claim to have spent some time riding these bikes (weeks) and they are the 'budget' alu versions. I've never owned a carbon bike because 1/2 a pound isn't worth the added cost to me. That and being a clyde I've had a history of breaking sh*t. But these bikes are both spec'd out pretty nice for the $.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ve-al-6-0-2018

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...al-al-6-0-2018
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just bought a Spectral AL6.0, so not a Strive but still a Canyon. I was considering the drive but I felt like that much travel was going to simplify my local trails too much. If something goes wrong with any part of the bike other than the shapeshifter portion you should be able to take it to any reputable local bike shop and get it fixed, yes warranty is different as you would have to contact canyon directly and may have to send to them. You are correct about not being able to sit on or demo one unless you love in southern cali, but I didn't let that stop me, it was the bike I wanted so I took the leap, I can't imagine being happier. I would say any bike is a good bike to learn to fix stuff on. It's all up to your comfort level.

Best of luck

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've seen a lot of owners complain about the shapeshifter failing. That and the Strive is due for an update very soon so I'd be reluctant to buy one right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I've seen a lot of owners complain about the shapeshifter failing. That and the Strive is due for an update very soon so I'd be reluctant to buy one right now.
    I saw that someone just broke the shapeshifter lever and had to pull apart half the bike to change it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I donít own a Canyon, donít know anyone who owns one either. But your concern about buying online for repair issues applies more than just Canyon.

Last 3 bikes I bought were online and never sat on one prior to buying. Two of the companies have local distributors, Santa Cruz & Knolly. Bu the SC shop in my area is horrid, and is probably out of business now. No Knolly dealer anywhere close to me.

I have handled 2 warranty issues on my SC bike, over the internet through competitive cyclist where I bought bike. Very easy, no problems with them or SC. Much nicer and professional than typical LBS.

Your mileage may vary, and my experience does not prove what yours may be with Canyon or another brand. All I can say is that I do not even consider your question anymore at all when itís time to buy a new bike. In fact, I donít consider walking in to a LBS at all.

In the past, I had excellent service from Specialized dealer, from a shop in SoCal that moved huge volume of their bikes and had top notch service guys. If you are more comfortable buying from LBS, then try and find a shop like that, and I would not hesitate to recommend Specialized as a brand, despite the one-off gotchas on bits and pieces for which they are well known.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk