mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thinking of a new bike (so whats new with that)

I have a 2004 IH Hollowpoint. I have been happy with it, but I think it is starting to show its age. I think that rear shock bushings need to be replace, and the front fork (Manitou Black SPV) is starting to leak a little oil or something, and if I brake on fast downhills, it starts to shake or shimmy.

As a result, I am thinking of a new bike with around 4.5 to 5 inches of travel. Most of the parts on the bike can transfer to a new bike, so I am thinking of a frame and fork. My budget is limited as I just started working after having been unemployed for about 1.5 years(ie most of my savings are gone). I have seen marin (frame alone for 900-1000), chumba (frame and fork for 1450), khs xct (completed bike 1500), or any other sugestions you may have).

I want a bike that can stand up to rock, steep down hills, and can climb technical trails (sitting and standing) and be ridden on the road to the trails. I have destroyed several large chainrings, so I am not wild about (excesively) low bottom brackets, and I am at an intermediate (XC trails, I am a ***** when it comes to drops or jumps over 2 feet), but an above average climber.

Thanks in advance.

ride hard take risks
    Going into winter no job I'd say stick with what you have till next year.

So whats wrong with your GF??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a job now, and I am starting to save money again. So, i am now thinking about a bike or frame & fork.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by micky
    I have a job now, and I am starting to save money again. So, i am now thinking about a bike or frame & fork.
    Look for sales in 2010 your in full on rain and winter is coming.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Actually, I got a job in El Paso, TX which is where I relocated to. There is very little rain, and winter means mild weather by my standards (relocated from MD). WHen I sold my house in MD, I made a little profit, so I may use a little bit of that to get a bike (with the rest going into a new house within 2 miles from the trails in the area.

ride hard take risks
    Ok then Mr. Big Bucks Great Weather whats you budget now.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It will be about 1,500 or so. If I move parts (it will be mid level..lx to xt but older), I can get a better overall bike. If I buy a bike it will be low end parts.

Members who have read this thread: 0