Thinking of going FS- Mtbr.com
    BRH
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thinking of going FS

Starting to think about going FS next spring so I'm starting to do my research. Right now I ride a HT Gary Fischer Tasajara that I'm very happy with, but I want to take the next step. I like to ride long rides with both technical up and down hills in them (technical for me at least) and my ultimate goal would be to do a long organized enduro ride at some point and ride it repsectable. I want a bike that not only takes care of everything I can do now, but also what I hope to learn in the next 3-5 years too. My question is, what questions should I be asking to start looking in the right direction? What are some factors I should consider when I start narrowing down my options? One important one is I'm willing to spend up to $2500

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

A few thoughts

I took the leap from a Tass to a FS bike about 1.5 years ago and here are a few thoughts:

1) how much travel do you need? it sounds to me like you are in the XC/AM range of 4-6"

2) are you worried about weight or overall performance?

3) rear suspension design: VPP, horst link, etc... Does the rear shock have a lockout? How much pedal bob does it have?

On a side note - I would try to test ride as many bikes as possible before making your decision. I have ridden my bike for a while and have actually considered going back to a HT (b/c I think it suits my riding style better). A FS bike will be quite different from your Tass and you should try riding one on your local trails before you make your decision.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since you already like GF bikes why not look at the GF Cake?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Take a look at the Iron Horse DW-Link bikes. A bike like the MkIII would definitely be on my short list.

Members who have read this thread: 0