Thinking of buying used bike from a racer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Thinking of buying used bike from a racer

I have the opportunity to buy a used bike from a racer (expert class). The bike has 800 miles on it and is probably half what it would cost new retail. I'm wondering whether buying it from someone who races is a net plus or minus?

The pluses are that he spec'd it with high end parts so it's light and he maintains the bike well because he races on it. The minus is that perhaps he punishes the bike much more than a normal rider and therefore the bike will be much more worn that a normal 800-mile bike. The rider is fairly light, but still...

Any suggestions?

- dylanmac

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    well, depends on the price and what it looks like the condition is in...
    Usually if your buying used you could try for getting "slightly" used, therefore you get the largest discount with the minimal "use" part on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The bike is a $5k bike for half that amount. Again it has 800 mile on it. Is that "slightly" used?

The bike appears to be in good shape from the photos I've seen. But I wouldn't know until I saw the bike for myself and rode it of course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Go check the bike out. Make sure to check out the frame well. The parts that are most likely to need replacement will be the chain, chainrings and cassette. These are parts that often you can't tell are worn during regular riding, until you are hammering on it and you get chain suck or the chain pops off. Also check the fork. Is the travel smooth, does it leak any oil? Other than that you would probably need to true the wheels and maybe replace the brake pads.

The bike may be worth it. But it really is impossible to say without actually seeing and riding it. If it is not in prisitne condition I personally would not pay $2500 for it. New components can cost a lot of money. And especially considering that you can often find new high end bikes on clearance at places like Jenson for close to 50% off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the advice. I would be buying the bike from across the country and would not have the ability to see it in person. Sounds like the risk is probably too high to warrant spending that kind of money.

mtbr member
    What bike is it? What are the specs? It is pretty useless to ask questions without any real information.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It's a 2007 Racer-X:

Fork: Reba Team w/ PopLoc
    Headset: Chris King
    Brakes: Hope Mono Minis w/ Floating Rotors
    Shifters: X0 grip
    F Der: XTR
    R Der: X9 Medium Cage
    Crank: RF Deus
    Cassette: XT 11-32
    Chain: PC951
    Hubs F/R: WTB Laserdisc Lite
    Rims: Sun DS1-XC

mtbr member
    i think buying from a xc racer could be a good deal, they need to take care off the equipment. also racers often train on the road allot so the mtb may ot have too much use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Personally now that I am racing I maintain my bike much better than I ever have. If he is racing expert he probably takes good care of it. The last thing you want is a broken part or crappy drive train in the middle of a 30 mile race. What size is the bike? If he is a smaller guy you don't have as much to worry about frame wise compared to a 225lb guy dropping off of things.

Also, if he actually is racing expert XC that probably means he is fairly smooth and not abusing the bike as much as a normal rider. I would think that a beginner racers bike gets beat up a lot more than an expert.

I bought a Specialized FSR Expert on ebay, I was nervous about spending that much money on a used bike that I hadn't seen but it was a great deal. Just get lots of pictures.

Let us know if you get it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    800 miles is nothing unless it went through a lot of muddy races. seems like a reasonable price considering i bet the frame and fork could go for 1500-2k. i'd try and talk him down on price. doubtful he paid 5k.

mtbr member
    I say get it and try it out. 800 miles is not a lot in most cases. With that spec it should be pretty easy to get most, if not more than your cost back out of it should you not be happy with it. Don't think twice about asking for additional close up photos of components, pivots or any other part of the bike you may question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I appreciate all the great feedback I got about this bike. Still mulling it over but I have to decide soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Happens all the time. Racers often have to ride a different rig when they change sponsers each season and they sell off their old bikes. Often they don't want the hassle of round-robin phones calls emails etc of placing an ad.
    The rx is a great bike design by the way.
    Haggle a bit you might get him down a couple of hundred.
    I assume you have seen the bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0