Thinking of biking after 15 years...scanning craigslist- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Thinking of biking after 15 years...scanning craigslist

Hi guys,
    After 15 years, I'm thinking to bike again since I'm in Denver and weather is getting warmer.
    I'm scanning craigslist for a good used mtb for under $150.
    I saw this rockhopper for $125:
    http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1735314299.html

I just want to start off as a recreational rider.
    I went through posts and decided not to buy from local grocery store.
    This forum has tons of information and I am browsing them.
    Thanks for ideas.

powered by peanut butter.
    That could be a good bike for getting started (if it fits you -- fit is everything).

The main drawback is that it's an older bike with what looks like a 1'' threaded fork, which means that it wouldn't be possible to put a suspension fork on it down the road.

If you're planning on riding trails around Denver, a suspension fork would be a nice thing to have, though not absolutely necessary.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for reply heartland.
    I'll see if anything better comes up.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Found a stumpjumper with front suspension for $100 but may be too big for me as it's 20" and I'm 5'10"
    http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1734818460.html

powered by peanut butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery
    Found a stumpjumper with front suspension for $100 but may be too big for me as it's 20" and I'm 5'10"
    http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1734818460.html
    Actually, there is a chance that a 20'' frame might fit you at that height. The most important thing is to ride before you buy. It's hard to know how a bike will fit until you throw a leg over it and pedal it around for a while.

If it's too big, you'll feel too stretched out, like you're reaching too far for the handlebars. My first bike was too big, and it caused me some back pain after a while. No injuries, just soreness after an hour or so of riding.

My advice would be to try out lots of bikes to get a feel for what fits and what doesn't. One thing on your side is that Denver is sure to have lots and lots of good used bikes, so imho it'd be worth waiting for just the right bike to come along.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    if you do meet up to check out a bike on craigslist, make sure it's in a busy area with people around and during the day. too many wackjobs out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's a tough call between those two bikes. They're both pretty old bikes (15-20 years old). For a bike of that age, I would prefer going with the non-suspension bike because suspension back then was pretty lousy to begin with, and 15-20 years later it probably is having some problems (and you can't get parts for them anymore). So based on that, I would say the rockhopper is your best bet for a recreational riding.

That said, the Stumpjumper is a higher-end bike. So it has a better frame (though both frames are good) and probably has better components (though it depends on the condition of the components). If the stumpy came with a rigid fork, that would be the way to go (assuming the bike fits), but I would be concerned about that old suspension fork.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    @heartland
    Thanks for encouragement

@trailville,
    hmm...
    The ad doesn't mention what year they were built.
    I checked specialized site and they have rockhopper in 2009 as well.
    Is there something I missed that tells these are 15-20 years old bikes?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Older bikes have different geometry, 21 speeds and thinner steel tubing rather than aluminum. Bikes after around 1995 or so had 24 speeds and after 2000 many had 27 speeds. The geometry changed around 2000 with sloping toptubes and what some would call a more relaxed ride. Plus after 1995 rigid forks were mostly replaced with suspension forks. I would be looking for something with 24 speeds, maybe even 27 less than 10 years old.

In the under $200 sellers often really dont know much about the bikes because at the lower prices many are "resellers" picking up bikes for next to nothing from neighbors, friends, garage sales etc.

Heres a bike here for someone around 508 tall that looks decent at $225.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1731730913.html
    Last edited by borregokid; 05-12-2010 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery
    @trailville,
    hmm...
    The ad doesn't mention what year they were built.
    I checked specialized site and they have rockhopper in 2009 as well.
    Is there something I missed that tells these are 15-20 years old bikes?
    Thanks
    lot's of stuff. Cantilever brakes, threadless headsets, 7-speed, old short travel suspension fork (but may not have been original to that bike, so the bike may be even older). Though the pics aren't very good, my guess is both of those are early 90s models (or maybe even late 80s).

There is nothing wrong with riding an early 90s or late 80s good quality rigid bike. Both the rockhopper and stumpjumpers were nice bikes, and if taken care of are still nice rides. But old suspension is another story. So is low-end newer suspension. So if you're going to buy a bike with suspension, you need to educate yourself a bit on the differences between a good suspension fork and a crappy one. A lot of the used bikes in that price range probably don't have decent suspension forks on them. That's why you may be better off with an old rigid bike.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ah... I see...
    That's the difference between newbie and experienced.
    Thank you for educational info on new bikes.
    From what I understood, this one looks like has newer downtubes:
    http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1736389841.html

I'll keep my eyes open.
    It's not that I can't afford a good bike.
    The concern is I have failed myself many times on keeping up a hobby. I buy expensive stuffs and after few weeks they just sit inside a closet.
    So I'm looking to get a cheap bike to see how I keep up but not a safety hazard.
    Thanks... you guys are greatly helpful.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I also wants to thanks you as its helpful for me, i don't have much info just learning
    "I'm not totally useless, I can still be used as an example of uselessness!"