Tell me about the 2009 Iron Horse Azure- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Tell me about the 2009 Iron Horse Azure

A local shop has got one of these brand new for $998. I had been leaning toward a hardtail but its very tempting to buy this, its got sram x-9 (except for shifters which are x-7), juicy seven brakes, monarch rear shock and dt swiss wheels. The bike comes with a small service contract (I think like 60 days free tune up or something to that extent. This bike fits right in my budget but I don't know anything about the quality of it so is it worth my money? I ride mostly XC around eastern TN. Thanks.

Oh and the bike is identical to this (with the components that I lsited).

mtbr member
    Does it still have the Reba Shock and FSA Crank? I would say its a terrific deal. I think its 2008 though since they went out of business before 2009. You wont have any frame warranty and thats why the price is knocked down a bit. The other reason I would guess is that the frame is a 15 inch frame and they havent been able to sell it. Even if it doesnt fit the parts would be worth 1k. The main competition at this price level would be to find a used Giant Anthem similarly speced without much wear on it.

T.W.O.
    I'd choose that over HT anyday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, 2008.

It is actually a 19in frame (my size) and yes, it has an FSA crank and Reba SL fork. It also has crank bros egg beaters on it.

Ideally I'd like to ride it this summer and maybe when the 2011 bikes come out dump it for a 2010 demo or leftover bike. I was hoping too that I could get most of it back as long as I didn't ruin it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    if you don't mind the fact that ironhorse is gone(means no warranty on the frame), i'd say go for it, especially if it meets your needs. i own a mkIII, and the DW suspension is superb, doesn't need lockout on climbs. worst case scenario, you can just get a different frame if this one breaks(unlikely).
    break that ironhorse, he he...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great riding bike,I'm 165Lbs and have had two frame cracks in the exact same location though, riding just xc . I've never seen anyone else report this problem with the Azure in the IH forum, can't imagine I'm the only one. For the money it's probably a good deal, the DW is one sweet suspension, just keep an eye out on this area. Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

T.W.O.
    Ouch! That's suck. Well, I remembered demo both Giant Anthem 1st gen and the Azure when they both came out. FWIW, I remember I didn't like both bikes, because they are firm, limited travel, and racy geometry. At the same time Azure was a bit more comfortable though. I just got my Reign and Mojo longer travel was more comfortable to me. I as looking for something opposite to HT. These are very efficient bikes both require no lock out or PP

If you are in the market for a hardtail, the DW Azure would be a better bike, way faster than HT up or down the trail.

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCain
    Great riding bike,I'm 165Lbs and have had two frame cracks in the exact same location though, riding just xc . I've never seen anyone else report this problem with the Azure in the IH forum, can't imagine I'm the only one. For the money it's probably a good deal, the DW is one sweet suspension, just keep an eye out on this area. Good luck

Sorry to the OP

WOW, where did the crack start from? Almost looks like theres a seam in the tube.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The crack follows the weld of the pivot bracket on the seat tube, here's the same crack different frame.

I4NI
    I better check my son's bike out! Kids can be very hard on bikes!
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I sold the replacement framed bike to a buddy who had the crack appear about 3 months later. I disassembled the bike and had the area repaired, looked like they had just tried to smooth out the the factory weld and went to thin. Anyway about 10 months has gone by since the repair and it's still holding up, I've seen him ball it up a few times too, so it's probably good, both sides of the tube were redone.

Sorry, didn't really mean to highjack this thread, just thought I'd put the info out there.
    Last edited by TiCain; 05-21-2010 at 06:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No need to apologize, thats exactly the stuff I was looking for. I think I might give it a try though, if its still there this weekend that is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    At least you know it is repairable, really a great xc bike, I have a fsr xc now, needs the lock-out, Azure never did. Good luck, looks very cool in red.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Three last things on the Azure, rear tire selection is limited to 2.0 most 2.1s will rub. Watch set-up on front derailer, when in granny gear can rub swingarm, very close with certain derailers. Last, set rear sag at 30%, this is the sweet spot, hope this all helps, take care.

TRANCER
    That is actually one sweet looking Iron Horse. Good luck man
    Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So did ya buy it? and if so what do you think?

mtbr remember
    any more info on those cracks appearing in the seattubes? I just picked up a used azure frame and planned on building it up... but now obviously a little leary.... would more seatpost insertion help at all?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI View Post
    any more info on those cracks appearing in the seattubes? I just picked up a used azure frame and planned on building it up... but now obviously a little leary.... would more seatpost insertion help at all?

well, looking closer @ my Azure, it has an external gusset welded right in the exact spot shown above, so it must have been an update... knock on wood, I should be good!
    Schralp it Heavy.

Members who have read this thread: 1