mtbr member
    Jun 2018

tappered headtube reducer

Hi, I'm going to buy a new frame, but the problem is, that the frame has a tapered headtube and my fork is straight and a tapered frame with straight fork can look a bit ridiculous, so my question is, is there any kind of conical headset or spacer that would be reducing the bottom 1 1/5part back to 1 1/8 with conical shape to hide the diameter difference?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, you need to get a different crown race for your fork. Get one that fits around 1 1/8 steer with a 1.5" outer diameter. I've done it on previous bikes with no issues.

mtbr member
    I assume that you're going to buy a new headset for the new frame, because the old headset you might have probably won't fit either. just pick a headset designed with a reducer crown race, or has an after-market reducer crown race available. these are usually cheap and I know Cane Creek makes such a thing. it will have a cup and bearing designed for a tapered fork, but the crown race that goes on top of the fork has a smaller inner diameter to accommodate the fork.

yeah, it's going to look a little off. how much time do you spend looking at your headset while riding?

FWIW, I nickle and dime the hell out of every bike purchase. I have owned one mountain bike for the past decade, which has had 6 or 7 different frames. it's always the same bike, but never the same bike. when I bought my first frame that featured a 44mm headtube for tapered forks, I bit the bullet and bought a new fork too. it's easier to sell your old frame, if that's what you have in mind, if it has a fork and headset to go with it anyhow.